Rough but good day

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Got on the road headed to the biggest chunk of our leased land to sort and gather calves. Got them separated easy enough from the mature cows, but separating out the ones going for the ride to the auction was not as easy as it could've been. Te younger calves huddling up with the older ones. We ended up having to mug a few and rope a few. Hilarious watching a 100 lb calf throw my wife off her feet! Ended up filling the trailer with the right ones and one cull cow and headed to Ocala. Met a fella up there who we have been talking to about one of his dogs that would fit our needs real well. Loaded him up and made the drive home.
He's a registered acd, 4 year old son of a breed champion named Sam, and already is a great fit to the family. I really look forward to seeing what he's capable with cows once he settles in good. Named him goober

Thats a good name for your new dog :) and I am sure he will work very well for you once he gets used to his new home :) super big hugs and hope your wife is ok after being knocked off her feet... extra hug for her ;)

Sounds like a fun day :mrgreen: . I sure your lovely wife didn't find the rough landing as funny as you did ...... Good luck with that :lol: .

Glad to hear you picked up that dog, keep us updated from time to time on his progress. Do you think between dead eye and your wife you can get him trained without them spoiling him? :lol:

ANAZAZI":24b7lvly said:
Should have been named "son of Sam"! :banana:
:mad: :mrgreen: I don't think so
It was truly funny watching her get tossed. She insisted on mugging the calf all by herself. I was impressed she actually caught it but that didn't last long

B32BB37A-C248-4874-81B2-6FC922B6CA68.jpg

TN Cattle Man":9hnmfqkg said:
Good looking dog Hook... is it common in your area to leave the tails undocked on cattle dogs?

always seen tails on BM curs and heelers around here. Hog dogs have tails too.

All of our dogs have docked tails... have heard that this is done to prevent the tail from getting stepped on while working cattle. Not quite sure... just used to seeing cattle dogs with the docked tails.

TN Cattle Man":1pi1yh0m said:
All of our dogs have docked tails... have heard that this is done to prevent the tail from getting stepped on while working cattle. Not quite sure... just used to seeing cattle dogs with the docked tails.

I've always been told it is there for balance or to pull them out of a gopher hole. I have docked a lot of puppies for people but all of our personal catch dogs always had tail. IDK whats right or wrong

The dog has got to have a rudder to cross the ponds and creeks! (But I raise labs!) :D
Very nice looking dog Hook!
From the pic that I saw of your wife, that calf probably out weighed her! I tackled a lab at a dead run the other day, that was chasing my chicken. It felt like I was hit by a linebacker! (If that is an odd comment, it's because I don't know a thing about football!) :mrgreen:

Yeah, she's pretty petite. And dead eye is taller than her now too. I tell you, she came up grinning ear to ear. That her first run at sorting and splitting out pairs started off a little slow but she was getting into it at the end. That's when she insisted on going at the cal herself. I wish I had video. She did real well yesterday.

I have mastered my sorting skills to ALWAYS look pretty doing it....... One day out in an open area, one of my big cows was refusing to be directed toward the smaller corral that leads to the sweep. As I was running back and forth trying to out menuver her, I slipped and face planted in a cow pie. That was my prettiest moment yet! :D

hook, nice looking dog, I hope he works out for you. As for your wife helping out, that's great!! You tell her 'you go girl'! for me! :) I'm glad that she's liking it.

Katherine

Thanks Jo. After seeing Eli and working with some down at the Deseret I've been watching for a good bred dog to work with. We did a little test of his instincts yesterday on some cows and he did really well.

The first few times that you take him to cows, take him out and run him for awhile first. That way he doesn't get in the habit of exploding all of his pent up energy on them every time he sees them. Let him get a little winded and he'll get it in his head to approach them calmly and in time he'll do it like that every time.

Hook, another good thing is make him watch from the truck. Tie him in the back so he can see you guy's working them. It should teach him to stay and to stay back. Some dogs are so smart it makes you wonder if they can reason.

Latest posts