Rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

You guys need to re-read my post before jumping all over me. Look at the equation. I gave each paddock 42 days of rest, and I would only graze each pasture for 3 days. There isn't going to be 3-6 pasture, but around 14 paddocks

This is basically how I do it on the pastures that I run the cows with small calves on. I figure on 42 days as a season average, in spring it will be shorter, in the fall longer. The 3 days magical figure won't always pan out as planned, You will have to go by your eye, the same way you cannot breed by EPDs only. In my opinion the more small paddocks you've got, the better, keep in mind though that there is usually a lot of strain on crossfencing and if your fences aren't outstanding to start off, you could spend many days repairing fence in the future. (I found this out the hard way)

Don't get too married to the 3 day graze period...the cows will be in a world of hurt if the grass in that particular pasture has enough regrowth for a 1 day graze and you are watching the calendar and not opening the next gate until the three days have passed. Not all pastures are created equal and the length of graze may vary greatly between areas of the same size...that's where the management comes in.

Good luck

Latest posts