Herd rotational grazing pictures - I did it

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":15xra8pf said:
Just turned them in a new paddock. Thanks everyone who helped this old lady figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

Looking good.

I still ain't got the picture posting down. Every time I try on my IPhone it kicks me back to the login screen.

TennesseeTuxedo":1x4l74r4 said:
Good heavens that's a large cow. Bright Raven should take solace in that picture.

Jeanne - I know your place from Facebook. Wonderful as always.

TT: I mowed the back 30 yesterday. I have 13 cows and 2 heifers back there. All bred to have calves in Sept/Oct. So they are well into their pregnancy. About 5 of those cows have now gone from fat to obese. It concerns Me! I don't think the grass is as good as last year but the clover is extremely abundant. They are getting nothing but pasture and mineral. I would say everyone is at least a body condition score of 7. Some are obese. It will not surprise me to see some big calves. I am already performing daily rituals to the bovine Goddess of Fertility for safe births.

ALACOWMAN":ghlp5xbk said:
Lurk every now and then, but haven't posted ...just recently got internet to my little thatch hut

Good to see ya around. Not many old timers around anymore.

Thanks everyone. My cows are a little on the large size. The mature cows range from maybe 1450 - 1800# (most are 1550-1650#). They range from 4.5 - 7-ish (most 5.5 - 6.5). I don't care what size they are or what color they are just so they are good. I like my cows easy keepers, structurally sound, big middled, fertile, structurally sound, good temperament, balanced, and, oh yeah, did I say I like them structurally sound???
I know some of you will "poo-poo" my comment about being easy keepers, but they are. My cows are expected to work for a living. 60 day spring & 60 day fall breeding, all AI again this year, on grass & hay - no grain to the COWS. I do grain my replacement heifers from weaning, through breeding until they are turned out on grass around May 1st. They get about 5# whole shell corn/hd/day.
Pastures: I am running around 32 pairs, 16 replacement heifers & 5 dry fall calvers on about 70 acres of paddocks. Mostly native grasses. I say native, but at some point they were planted, just none of them since about 1987. I spray weeds (thistle & burdock) and mow the weeds the cows don't eat. I also will mow the seed heads off like this year with all this rain, pastures got ahead of us quickly! We have Orchard Grass, Timothy, lots of different clover, some birds-foot trefoil, and probably others I didn't mention & don't know.

They look great. Fat like Bright Raven's! I like my cows at about 1500 (5.5 to 6.0 frame), most people underestimate their cow weights, we weigh ours every time they come in for shots or AI, so several times a year.
Great job!

ALACOWMAN":3crcbzqj said:
Thanks fellers,blessed to be living period....got kidney problems...appreciate your prayers
Prayers sent. Always looked forward to reading your posts.

TennesseeTuxedo":3gt01s76 said:
Good heavens that's a large cow. Bright Raven should take solace in that picture.
Now a black bull calf out of a cow like that sired by bull like the one in the pic would be hard to pass on. I like that cow and the rear end on the bull.

Bright Raven":327gnl4k said:
TennesseeTuxedo":327gnl4k said:

Jeanne - I know your place from Facebook. Wonderful as always.

TT: I mowed the back 30 yesterday. I have 13 cows and 2 heifers back there. All bred to have calves in Sept/Oct. So they are well into their pregnancy. About 5 of those cows have now gone from fat to obese. It concerns Me! I don't think the grass is as good as last year but the clover is extremely abundant. They are getting nothing but pasture and mineral. I would say everyone is at least a body condition score of 7. Some are obese. It will not surprise me to see some big calves. I am already performing daily rituals to the bovine Goddess of Fertility for safe births.

BR I'm having the same issues here. I have some RA heifers that will calf late due to the owners poor decision making. I felt they were settled AI and didn't put them with a bull for a few months. Not a single one settled. I ran them on grass all winter with cake and hay along with some other easy keepers. Had lots of wheat but knew they would get too big and fat. I was showing another cowman pics of one of them this week and he said he wasn't sure I gained anything by keeping them off the wheat. We have had an excellent spring and start to the summer. They are obese and not sure what to do about it unless I dry lot them and feed them dry hay. Guess it is better than the alternative.

Latest posts