Herd rotational grazing pictures - I did it

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":3qbhasc4 said:
They look great. Fat like Bright Raven's! I like my cows at about 1500 (5.5 to 6.0 frame), most people underestimate their cow weights, we weigh ours every time they come in for shots or AI, so several times a year.
Great job!

That is the range that I look for in our cows. But they tend to go over and under. Like you stated many under estimate their cows. As I often say I can miss a 5 lb chicken by 4 lbs. Recently sent a cow to the sale. I said she would weigh around 1,500. She weighed 1,640. Just glad I don't have to earn a living guessing weights.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3cvxags6 said:
Just turned them in a new paddock. Thanks everyone who helped this old lady figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

Nothing nicer than fleshy cattle with a green background. Sim or simangus?

The pictures are good, the cattle are great and the breeder is a class act. It's one thing to talk the talk about Simmental cattle and a completely different thing to live your life and do what's right for the breed. I like the red cows and that herd looks like what a Simmental herd should look like. Ma'am you've done great holding on to your convictions and not chasing color.

My herd is PB Simmental. Been breeding them for 45 years. I have always said, I don't care if a cow is red, black or purple polka dotted, so long as she is good. I do have to pay attention to "trends" because I make my living selling breeding stock & mostly show stock. I used to have 9 - 10 frame cows - but, unlike most Simmental back then, mine were structurally correct. So when the "fad" got back to good solid moderate frame cattle, it was a piece of cake making my offspring, moderate and correct. Cut the legs off and kept the big middled, easy keeping mommas.
True Grit - really very nice of you to say such nice things. About 7-8 years ago, all of a sudden I realized my herd was mostly black. Due, in part, to my herd bull that semen was sold (and still is) nationally was homo. black (the bull used as my avatar). So, I made an assertive effort to breed every red cow to red bull and every heterozygous black cow to a red bull to increase my red numbers. A "good" red cow (or show heifer) brings as much as a good black one. I have two red heifers in my show string this year.
Oh, and I weigh my cows twice a year, so yes, I know their weights. And, I still breed some of my cows and heifers to Macho (the pictured bull).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":115s63mv said:
My herd is PB Simmental. Been breeding them for 45 years. I have always said, I don't care if a cow is red, black or purple polka dotted, so long as she is good. I do have to pay attention to "trends" because I make my living selling breeding stock & mostly show stock. I used to have 9 - 10 frame cows - but, unlike most Simmental back then, mine were structurally correct. So when the "fad" got back to good solid moderate frame cattle, it was a piece of cake making my offspring, moderate and correct. Cut the legs off and kept the big middled, easy keeping mommas.
True Grit - really very nice of you to say such nice things. About 7-8 years ago, all of a sudden I realized my herd was mostly black. Due, in part, to my herd bull that semen was sold (and still is) nationally was homo. black (the bull used as my avatar). So, I made an assertive effort to breed every red cow to red bull and every heterozygous black cow to a red bull to increase my red numbers. A "good" red cow (or show heifer) brings as much as a good black one. I have two red heifers in my show string this year.
Oh, and I weigh my cows twice a year, so yes, I know their weights. And, I still breed some of my cows and heifers to Macho (the pictured bull).

Is Macho a bull you raised?

Yes - Simme Valley Macho As U. Long time ago (born 15 years ago) . SEK Genetic Horizon still sells his semen. He was listed with several different studs, including Cattle Vision. He was a "changer", being 5.4 frame size, 1205# YW, Calving Ease trait leader.

MACHO, 2 years old, at Keystone International Livestock Expo. Judge Bill Conley, Conley Angus, Missouri, said,
"I loved him as a calf, but he is a better 2-year old than I could imagine. For the breed, he is the biggest butted, cleanest fronted, deepest, big ribbed, big footed bull I've seen. I plan on breeding some of my fall calvers to him." "He could be Meyers 734's replacement!"
Macho_04_KILE_full.JPG

Jeanne - Simme Valley":us21u8vu said:
Yes - Simme Valley Macho As U. Long time ago (born 15 years ago) . SEK Genetic Horizon still sells his semen. He was listed with several different studs, including Cattle Vision. He was a "changer", being 5.4 frame size, 1205# YW, Calving Ease trait leader.

MACHO, 2 years old, at Keystone International Livestock Expo. Judge Bill Conley, Conley Angus, Missouri, said,
"I loved him as a calf, but he is a better 2-year old than I could imagine. For the breed, he is the biggest butted, cleanest fronted, deepest, big ribbed, big footed bull I've seen. I plan on breeding some of my fall calvers to him." "He could be Meyers 734's replacement!"
Macho_04_KILE_full.JPG

Congratulations. I did not know you raised him.

Ron, I knew she had raised that Bull. You need to keep up with the Simmental AI sires out on the market better especially since you're strictly AIing. Don't make Firesweep do all the homework, lol. Simme Valley really like that bull his structure and appearance resembles the TN State Champ we had years ago so much. If I did very much AIing he'd be in my Tank.

Latest posts