Rotational grazing experience

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
All,
I just wanted to get our recent rotational grazing experiences out to the group. In a nutshell, it has been great. The rotational grazing program has really helped keep the cows from over eating certain sections.

For us we have broken up about 30 acres of not so good grazing fields into about five or so different different areas. While the grass is not great, we are renovating an old rock quarry, we have the cows stay on one area no longer than a week helps the grass that is there grow stronger.

We have about seven to 10 steers and our bull that we rotate through these areas. All and all, it is working for us.

Sounds like its working for you . I tried it but it was to much hassle . More fence to spray or remove to mow. And with my work schedule it's hard for me to move cows every other day . I did notice a difference in the grass but I'm getting the same results with reduced stocking rates . I still do a rotation of sorts I have 4 large pastures that I rotate the cow through every 2or 3 weeks .

After about 5 years of moving 'temporary' polywire fences, we were comfortable enough to put up semi-permanent HT division fences. Have carved my pastures up into 16 paddocks that are ~5 acres each + two 10 acre sacrifice paddocks where the cows spend the winter feeding period - and the wife's horses & bull stay(when he's not out with the cows during Spring & Fall breeding seasons); also keep the weanling heifers there when the bull is out with the herd.
Easy-peasy. Cows are ready to move; all I have to do is open the gap, and they move to the next paddock. I drag the mineral feeder to the paddock they're in, and we're done. 10 minutes a day - unless I'm on foot and having to walk the mile to the far end of the farm to move them.

75 cows/heifers + calves. They rarely spend more than a day, maybe a day and a half, in any paddock. Rarely, if it's a really good spring, they might take 2-3 days to graze a paddock down, but there have been times when I've moved 'em twice a day, as well.

We love it! We are running 22 cows, 11 spring calves, 6 yearling heifers, and a few fall bulls all on just about 40 acres. We mainly rotate on just 18 acres. It has been a great spring for us, lots of good clover. We move the cows every 48 hours, and graze on about 2 acre sections, give or take. We use the white push in posts, with poly wire on a reel. On weekends, we just set up enough sections to graze for the week, and since I am out there twice a day heat checking it is pretty easy to move them. They tell you when they are out of grass, by sitting in the corner and mooing at you constantly until you open the next section. Easy peasy....

It works for me. I should break mine up into smaller patches.

Dun (or someone) posted about this helping with parasite problems a few years back. Someone posted a link that was very informative. Sure makes me want to break mine down to 15 acre patches or so.

Latest posts