Romagnola Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

ctburt0n

Reaction score
Thinking about crossing Romagnola bulls with my Angus cows. Have any of you done this cross before. Looking at getting a better hybrid vigor cross than using a Hereford bull.

Check to see if you keep replacement heifers how much your cow size will increase as well as your feed bill.
Normally more cows per acre equals more profit. That is everything being equal and they never are,,,,,,

We're on our second gen Romagnola bull and have had great success. Most of the girls he dates are brangus. Easy births and good gain. Most will favor the mother's color. We have some Romagnola mommas to that we cross with a Sim/Angus bull. Those claves come out in all colors. Romagnola are big but gentle. Granted I won't corner one in the coral without a easy way out for me.

Check to see if you keep replacement heifers how much your cow size will increase as well as your feed bill.
Normally more cows per acre equals more profit. That is everything being equal and they never are,,,,,,
All calves are terminal. I'm just looking to push pounds. I have a guy interested in the calves already. He feeds out the calves and will give me back the carcass data. He has a meat company that he runs his cattle through.

Well, I jumped into the Romagnola bulls approx 5 years ago with big desires of growth and weight gain. Had 5 bulls at one time. My mommas were 95% black. The problem I experienced was, if the momma is carrying a horn gene, then the calf will have horns. The buyers at the stock yard ate my lunch. Also, my calves were wild as deer, couldn't do anything with them. Don't understand with bulls as gentle as they are. Something short circuited somewhere. I was forced to go back to the black simmi's. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Well, I jumped into the Romagnola bulls approx 5 years ago with big desires of growth and weight gain. Had 5 bulls at one time. My mommas were 95% black. The problem I experienced was, if the momma is carrying a horn gene, then the calf will have horns. The buyers at the stock yard ate my lunch. Also, my calves were wild as deer, couldn't do anything with them. Don't understand with bulls as gentle as they are. Something short circuited somewhere. I was forced to go back to the black simmi's. Thats just my 2 cents worth.
F1s have their own temperament...take the dead head,docile Hereford cow ...bred to a laid back Brahman bull..bam she ejects a Tasmanian devil..but they usually mellow out with age

Check out the Italian Piedmontese as a cross. Most of the Certified Piedmontese are an Angus/Pied stock and they are creating quite a market. I raise pure Piedmontese and cater to a more health conscious market.

Check out the Italian Piedmontese as a cross. Most of the Certified Piedmontese are an Angus/Pied stock and they are creating quite a market. I raise pure Piedmontese and cater to a more health conscious market.
Welcome to the forum Dan. I've heard good things about Piedmontese cattle. Where is your operation?

Northwest Pennsylvania, about 65 Pieds. In the next several years I would like to find other small Piedmontese/Pied cross operations to form a consortium in the east to expand the market and promote the breed. I started a Facebook Page, Great Lakes Piedmontese Beef, to introduce the concept

Latest posts