Rolling hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We have a NH 630 roller. Presently we use a NH bar rake and roll in a cross over hold cross over hold pattern. It makes nice bale as long as the hay is the same on the hold part. We are thinking of getting a bifold rake to speed up the raking. If the rake is set for 4ft.same as the baler, will it still make a uniform,edge tight roll? If so, how do you drive when rolling? TIA

You just have to rake according to your hay. If it is light bring it together and start driving like you'r drunk (weave). Watch your bales how they sit and their shape. They will tell you what you need to do.

kickinbull":3z0b1tju said:
We have a NH 630 roller. Presently we use a NH bar rake and roll in a cross over hold cross over hold pattern. It makes nice bale as long as the hay is the same on the hold part. We are thinking of getting a bifold rake to speed up the raking. If the rake is set for 4ft.same as the baler, will it still make a uniform,edge tight roll? If so, how do you drive when rolling? TIA
you would bale the same as before on the cross over hold pattern
but you will have to watch because with the V rake you will still have more hay in the middle of the windrow than on the edges
so you would be better off making a narrower windrow then bale like you have been

alot of this depends on how heavy your hay is also

Angus Cowman":2tyuuams said:
kickinbull":2tyuuams said:
you would bale the same as before on the cross over hold pattern
but you will have to watch because with the V rake you will still have more hay in the middle of the windrow than on the edges
so you would be better off making a narrower windrow then bale like you have been

alot of this depends on how heavy your hay is also
Yep, what I tried to say. :nod:

If you adjust the v-rake to make the windrow the same width as your pickup head you won't have to weave and the bales will be nice and square. I've got the little kicker wheels on my baler so I try and make the windrows a tad wider than the pickup so the edges are a bit tighter. The width of the windrow should be about equal to the distance between the closest points of the actual hoops of your rear rake wheels in the raking position.

I have the wide pickup on a BR740 (4x5) and use a V rake often set even wider than the bale. I just drive straight down the windrow, well that might be stretching it, anyway I don't worry with the weave hold technique and the monitor usually shows equal bars on the graph.

Latest posts