Rogue Bull = bad, bad calves

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
We had a lease place last year that because of the drought I moved about 1/2 our herd there. It was 400 acres of rough land and no fences except the perimeter. Well, this bull showed up, don't know where he came from or where he went to. We talked to all the bordering places and the sheriff. He had 2 brands, neither of which was registered with the county and no one recognized the brands or the bulls description. I should have just done away with the sucker but we didn't know what to do with him so I figured we've got 2 of our bulls with our cows, he surely won't breed anything. WRONG!!!! I should have taken a picture - this bull was uglier then ugly. He was white with black speckles, short, terrible confirmation, one horn sticking up, rodeo reject. I just had the 4th white speckeled calf drop yesterday. I need to take some pics, they look like a dalmation dog crossed with a pug dog crossed with a holstein crossed with a longhorn. :oops: All 4 have short thick necks, long spindly legs, real short body and short heads. I'm going to take a beating if I take them to the sale barn.

look's like you got neighbor's like mine. they alway's have the rinky dink's. that give you that nice inbred baby that would'nt grow off if you tied a feed sack to their head.

Beefy":2c5krg24 said:
that sounds like my bull.

Pretty good libido if that bull has traveled to tx to breed some cows for a friend... :shock:
sounds like a keeper.

MD

redfornow":1inrxxi7 said:
Beefy":1inrxxi7 said:

Pretty good libido if that bull has traveled to tx to breed some cows for a friend... :shock:
sounds like a keeper.

MD
unfortunitly dink's always seem have a strong libido. seems to be their only strong suit. that why they will travel for mile's to breed that registerd prized cow

ALACOWMAN":2urs8mho said:
redfornow":2urs8mho said:
Beefy":2urs8mho said:

sounds like a keeper.

MD
unfortunitly dink's always seem have a strong libido. seems to be their only strong suit. that why they will travel for mile's to breed that registerd prized cow
you got that right.those scrubb bulls love to breed reg cows.im dealing with that now.got my reg cows running with reg bull.an the neighbors limmy bull thinks he lives in my pasture.so i dont know what kind of calves ill have.if mixed up messes.the calves will go to the sale barn at weaning.

ALACOWMAN":3gedytpe said:
I think life has treated them so unjustly that its their way of gettin back at us :p
yes thats the way life goes.its no fun getting setback 2yrs because bulls wont stay put.

bigbull338":2n51igc0 said:
ALACOWMAN":2n51igc0 said:
I think life has treated them so unjustly that its their way of gettin back at us :p
yes thats the way life goes.its no fun getting setback 2yrs because bulls wont stay put.
now that is a fact.... aways trying to keep your herd move'in forward and over jump's a sht storm of genetics

I had the same thing happen last year, but I only got 2 rodeo calves out of it. I got some white speckled things. Plus I got a lot of dents in my truck from trying to herd the bull out of the pasture with my truck. This rodeo bull would not be herded even with a bunch of our cows. I got the dents from the bull leaning into my fenders while trying to turn him -not from me ramming him though after a while I sure felt like doing that.

We ended up cornering him in a shelter in the pasture and then running back to the yard on foot to get more vehicles and a trailer to close it off completely. Got the trailer backed up and a guy in the shelter with a small truck to try to herd him into the trailer because now he was really peeved and charging anything.

An hour later, the bull is still mad, pawing the ground, charging me in my truck ( I am not getting out for nothing) and the owner finally shows up. He can't beleive the ol boy is causing any trouble and jumps in the shelter with him to give him a talkin to and promptly gets run under a truck. He waits long enough for the bull to move to a corner of the pen and hightails it out of there.

Another 30 minutes go by and now its getting dark. He has looked at the trailer and almost went for it several times but each attempt he ducks away to play us. Its now getting chilly out and I need to go to the bathroom. He finally decides to just go for it and he jumps in the trailer. You never saw so many guys run and jump tripping and falling all over themselves to get that trailer door shut. It was comical but finally the deed was done.

This neighbour also runs rodeo horses and they just run right through the fences and we have had to chase them out and repair fences over 4 times. It gets maddening.

After the calves were born I phoned the guy and told him I was not too happy and he offered to buy the calves from me this fall. This spring I asked him to put up an electric fence on his side but he chose to keep the critters somewhere else this summer.

Since my issue I have found out that several neighbours have had the same problem with broken fences, loose horses and rodeo calves being born from purebred herds. At least its not just me who has to deal with him.

I guess he decided to make someone else mad this year. :roll:

Had the same thing a few years back.. nasty scrub Hereford bull that kept crawling in. When he heard the four wheeler coming he'd hightail it back. Took down a bunch of our cross fencing just for fun. Told the owner if he'd sell him he could use our bull on his 8 - 10 cows.

Finally sold him at the auction barn about three weeks ago. Couldn't figure out what made him sell him, until I realized I'd been out in that pasture practicing for my concealed handgun license. I bet he thought I was shooting at his bull! :lol:

Latest posts