RIP, Smokin' Joe Frazier.

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
Joe had the disadvantage, or advantage, of living in the same time frame as Muhammed Ali. And the thing is, I best remember his name as Ali spoke it back then. He's ugly. I'm pretty. Ali wins this fourth round, but Ali is in his corner and fading fast. Kind of like it was in the day.

john250":3s9wqctp said:
Joe had the disadvantage, or advantage, of living in the same time frame as Muhammed Ali. And the thing is, I best remember his name as Ali spoke it back then. He's ugly. I'm pretty. Ali wins this fourth round, but Ali is in his corner and fading fast. Kind of like it was in the day.
Joe is at rest...Ali doesn't know where he is...most of it because of that Joe Frazier left hook. ;-)

houstoncutter":9q8e0wx3 said:
Always loved to root for him to beat that sorry draft dodger!
Never quite understood that.....conscientious objector yet all his muslim brothers seem more than willing to blow themselves and us up in order to get on the heaven express.

TexasBred":2s7acufp said:
houstoncutter":2s7acufp said:
Never quite understood that.....conscientious objector yet all his muslim brothers seem more than willing to blow themselves and us up in order to get on the heaven express.
They are after them virgins that are waiting on the other side.

TexasBred":2rxkrbwb said:
houstoncutter":2rxkrbwb said:

Dump truck pulls up loaded with TNT
A fight insue's in the USA the looser has to drive it.
Over there the winner doe's.

When is the last time you seen a Muslim march for peace.

Best time of heavy weight boxing ever, Ali, Frazier, and early Holmes. RIP Joe Frazier. I'll add the early Tyson years where good also but not like those years... Add Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Duran to the mix.... Good boxing in it's prime.
Alan

Alan":py0u932m said:
Best time of heavy weight boxing ever, Ali, Frazier, and early Holmes. RIP Joe Frazier. I'll add the early Tyson years where good also but not like those years... Add Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Duran to the mix.... Good boxing in it's prime.
Alan

I agree, Alan. There were some great fighters and great fights back then. Don't forget George Foreman, who was in his prime, and guys like Ken Norton, Jimmy Young and Jimmy Ellis. I'll never forget watching the fight when Holmes won the title from Norton. The 15th round was like a scene from a Rocky movie. Then there was the one where Norton broke Ali's jaw in the 2nd round. Ali lost the fight but went the full 12 rounds with a broken jaw. That had to hurt. Like to see one of you hotshot Ali haters give that one a try sometime.

In the lower weight classes, along with Leonard, Hagler and Duran don't forget about Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns. Some great fights involving those four guys. Remember the "no mas" fight?

May Joe rest in peace.

highgrit":8fijh3wb said:
Anybody remember Randall "Tex" Cobb?? He was a tuff guy also.

Yes, I remember him. Not much of a boxer, but he was one tough SOB. Took some serious beatings but hardly ever went down.

On November 26, 1982, he fought champion Larry Holmes for the WBC World Heavyweight title at Houston's Astrodome. Cobb was defeated in a unanimous decision by Holmes, who won all 15 rounds on two of three scorecards. The bloody one-sidedness of the fight, which came 13 days after the bout between Ray Mancini and Duk Koo Kim that led to Kim's death four days later due to brain trauma, so horrified sportscaster Howard Cosell that he vowed never to cover another professional match, which Cobb jokingly referred to as his "gift to the sport of boxing." His sense of humor was revealed when he was asked if he would consider a rematch, to which he replied that he did not think that Holmes would agree, as Holmes' "hands could not take it." In an interview after the Holmes fight he was asked how he could fight someone whose arms were a foot longer than his were, to which he replied, "Oh, it seemed that way to you too?"

VanC":39sa4e2w said:
I agree, Alan. There were some great fighters and great fights back then. Don't forget George Foreman, who was in his prime, and guys like Ken Norton, Jimmy Young and Jimmy Ellis. I'll never forget watching the fight when Holmes won the title from Norton. The 15th round was like a scene from a Rocky movie. Then there was the one where Norton broke Ali's jaw in the 2nd round. Ali lost the fight but went the full 12 rounds with a broken jaw. That had to hurt. Like to see one of you hotshot Ali haters give that one a try sometime.

In the lower weight classes, along with Leonard, Hagler and Duran don't forget about Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns. Some great fights involving those four guys. Remember the "no mas" fight?

May Joe rest in peace.

Van, you know the same era as I'm talking about, how could I not think about the great and angry George Foreman and the rock solid Norton and the Hit Man Hearns. I did see the "no mas" fight on live TV a shock and an end to Duran, I remember how fast sugar ray's hands were in the olympics.

As far as modern fighter I was a big fan of Ricky Hatton, but I fear he's done.

I agree with you on the Ali haters, forget his religion, he was many, many years ahead if today's Muslims, quit hating on the worlds greatest heavy weight ever.

Alan

VanC":2j2x6wii said:
Alan":2j2x6wii said:
Alan

May Joe rest in peace.

Well I am an Ali hater IMO he should have rotted in jail instead of making millions in a country he refused to fight for.
He should have lost his fight liscense. Freedom is not free it comes at a cost some are not willing to pay.
Can't say he was scared of fighting he was scared of fighting when there were real consequences and little money.

Caustic Burno":26panxez said:
VanC":26panxez said:
Alan":26panxez said:
Alan

May Joe rest in peace.

Well I am an Ali hater IMO he should have rotted in jail instead of making millions in a country he refused to fight for.
He should have lost his fight liscense. Freedom is not free it comes at a cost some are not willing to pay.
Can't say he was scared of fighting he was scared of fighting when there were real consequences and little money.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee. He DID lose his fight license and along with it four years of his prime boxing years and millions of dollars in potential revenue. His conviction was finally overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

You say he was afraid to fight when there were real consequences. Now THAT'S funny. If he had enlisted, do you think he would have been sent anywhere near the fighting? No, he would have spent a couple of years giving boxing exibitions for the troops and making recruiting films, just like Joe Louis did during WWII.

He knew the consequences of what he was doing. It would have been a lot easier for him to enlist, do some cushy time, and then go back to boxing as a national hero, just like Louis did. But he didn't take the easy way out. He took a road that cost him millions of dollars and brought hatred and scorn down on him from most of the American public. Which do think took more guts?

Personally, I didn't agree with what he did. But the man stood by his principles even when he knew it would cost him dearly. I admire him for that.

Van you can defend it anyway you like, he will never be worth more than a piece of dried up monkey shyt in my book.
I attended too many funerals of friends during that time that had a flag on a coffin. Just because he was a pro sport's player guess that made him special.

Caustic Burno":1pozcex9 said:
Van you can defend it anyway you like, he will never be worth more than a piece of dried up monkey shyt in my book.
I attended too many funerals of friends during that time that had a flag on a coffin. Just because he was a pro sport's player guess that made him special.

You're missing my point. I'm not defending what he did. I'm saying that it took more guts to do what he saw as the right thing than to do what everyone else saw as the right thing.

VanC":1bxj6itq said:
Caustic Burno":1bxj6itq said:

You're missing my point. I'm not defending what he did. I'm saying that it took more guts to do what he saw as the right thing than to do what everyone else saw as the right thing.
So if it was sooo much better for him to go...and he didn't.....and it cost him millions of dollars, and the opportunity to help his country... :???: are you defending him for being a dumba$$?

Latest posts