ring worm

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav":30c425az said:
i have a heifer with ring worm if i do nothing i will not go away right. if i want to treat her wich is the best way iodine, monastat 7, or the stuff you get from the tractor dealer ship. last do you have to treat this daily until gone or do you treat on time and should clear up.

If you do nothing and have other animals and hands on contact with this animal chances are good it will spread to the rest of the herd and you may easily get it too. Curry the animal and apply your treatment of choice and follow the frequency of application directions. Keep treating the spots until you see hair regrowing in the spots. This stuff is a fungus and has to be treated with an anitfungal remedy. Anything in the barn that the animal has contact with will need to be cleaned, this stuff can live in wood too. Use a bleach solution to clean halters, brushes and use a sprayer to spray the bleach solution down the wood where the animal may have rubbed. Once you get it on your place chances are good it will re-occur so you need to get a handle on it as quickly as you can. As I stated before the Jeffers catalog has a product that works well and is less expensive than alot of the treatments out there. Sullivans has a good one but is very pricey comparatively.
Good luck.

When I bought my colt, he had one spot on his face that my vet said was ringworms. He said for a small area like that, I could use my fingers and put strait bleach on the spot(s). He said it will irritate the skin, but kill the fungus.

If you do nothing it will go away, yes others may catch it, but ringworm is like a childhood disease. Once they get it, they USUALLY never get it again. So, you already have it on your farm, if you are not showing or selling show cattle, i would let it run its course if it is difficult to catch & treat your animals.
I only treat cattle that are in my showstring. If other calves get it, I leave them alone - although it is rare that my pasture cattle get it. But in my case, I would rather they get it & get over it as a calf nursing mom.

We have a neighbor that has had this stuff bad, and unfortunatley the cow that first started with it does continue to have it come back on her (3 times now). So if you don't mind that it will likely spread and it may come back and that you might get it yourself, I guess you could do nothing and hope it won't come back.

But, what I am saying is that even if you treat it, you already have it on your farm. Treating & making it go away FASTER does not eliminate it from your farm. Some years are worse than others.
As far as the one cow that keeps getting it - I said MOST don't ever get it again. Like childhood diseases.
The only way to eliminate it - is never get it. We got it from a TRACTOR - can you believe :shock: Bought a tractor from a dairy, which we used to feed all our cows - what a mess - everything got it including aged cows. My herd had never been exposed therefore there was no immunity.

The farm I worked on had gotten ringworm, as well as myself. There is nothing that will make the ringworm go away, it has to run it's course. Although you can get a steriod, from the vet, not sure what it is called, that may make them more comfortable.

There is nothing that will make the ringworm go away, it has to run it's course.

Amanda, I hate to contridict you, but that statement is just flat wrong. Ringworm is simply a fungus and there are a bunch of different things that will knock it out quickly. I prefer iodine myself. That usually clears up the problem in one treatment, two at the most. Anything that kills fungus will make it go away. Ringworm is usually worse during the winter. Once the spring sun comes out strong the ringworm will usually clear up on its on.

There are several fungicides like those that have been mentioned to kill ringworm. I remember using the old TBZ paste wormer (after it lost its effectivenes on controlling stomach worms) on ringworm spots. Don't know why it worked but it did. It will take about a month for the hair to regrow.

Latest posts