composting around hay ring

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
This past winter I feed hay in one spot . Hay was feed in hay ring . Hay and manure around ring was 3ft. deep, when the pasture green up I move the cows out of feeding area . Then pushed this area around the hay ring up in a large pile so it would compost . Did I go about this correctly . The pile is getting smaller . Pushed it up again today still a lot of hay not breaking down . Thought it would be composted by this fall . Looks like it got a ways to go. What should I expect? thanks rj

If it's getting smaller, it's breaking down. Takes it awhile. Yep, needs some moisture to support the microbe action that breaks it down.

It needs both moisture and oxygen to compost. Take the temperature of the pile. it should go up to 130+ and then start to cool. When it starts to cool turn the pile to get air mixed in. Add water if it is beginning to dry out. It needs to be good and damp but not ringing wet. The temp should go up again. Do this two or three times and it should be composted.

Thanks for those instructions. I have a bale I need to compost down. It is under a tree so can't burn it. Bought two bales when hay was scarce and no grass. First bale was ok, some thorns. Second bale, the steers wouldn't/couldn't eat it, full of sticks and thorns.

I don't know when you are calving but I wouldn't want calves laying around in an environment like that. I like to spread my hay feeding around and let nature take care of it.

It needs oxygen at the bottom of the pile. Either mix with a FEL or what I do I run my hay forks into the bottom and mix up like you would do a salad. Twin hay forks work very well in this situation.

I've never composted. I just spread it. Are there more nutrients in it when you compost it? I know in theory you kill some weed seeds etc composting. I've got my fair share of those anyway.

The original post says hay was 3 foot deep with manure in it around the hay ring. That is a waste of hay in my opinion and that is precisely why I went to hay cradles. Virtually no waste.

You can buy a lot of compost in truck loads for a lot less than hay.

But what would scare me the most is the health risks of 3 foot deep manure and hay around a ring. I do everything in my power to avoid such scenarios.

There is a proper C to N ratio for good composting. I can't remember the number off the top of my head, something like 30 to 1. Old hay with some manure won't have the right ratio. It will be high to the C.

Latest posts