Mud around hay ring

Help Support CattleToday:

You could build a cradle a foot off the ground with a gate on one end so you could load it with a 3 point ... As long as you keep the hay from sitting on the ground it will not wick water ..

TexasBred":2cnlq09d said:
rjbovine":2cnlq09d said:
Can't believe how muddy it is already . Wish texas had some of the wet weather. Anyway how do you handle the mud around your hay ring . I've got a chance for some concrete slabs . Thinking about placing them , then filling in around with roadpack . Would this be a good idea . Got to find out how much to get slab hauled . Just hate to see cows in such a mess . :frowns:
rj..doesn't seem to matter how much concrete you pour....there has got to be an edge to it and at the edge there will always be mud and eventually about a foot deep hog wallow.

I agree! Where the cattle feed and the ground is wet, there's gonna be mud, unless you move the feeder. Ideally, I would have them all feed in a corral with a shed so as to collect the manure and spread into the pasture later. But that costs $'s.

Never had a mud problem when we only ran stockers in the green season. ;-)
Never had a mud problem when we only had a couple cows.
Had lots of mud this spring and have to adjust my approach. Need a sacrific area.

I just finished building a rake for just such area's to go through and level then pick up the trash with the grapple.
Rake is kinda like a homemade harrow. When I finished reloading shotgun shells, had to come up with another project to keep me busy.

Caustic Burno":2sm6c7ic said:
I just finished building a rake for just such area's to go through and level then pick up the trash with the grapple.
Rake is kinda like a homemade harrow.

My friend Terry Gombert said hay piles are not a real problem and just leave them be...
My son tried floating an old spike harrow last spring behind an ATV. Worked a little, and he really enjoyed going fast.
I don't have a grabble but I do have an 10' wide snow bucket. :banana: May not be many of these in the south. If I feed bales in somewhat of a line I can just keep pushing till I have a compost pile.

I was just coming here to ask about this mud issue. Looks like moving the ring frequently is part of the answer.
Will the cows standing in mud to eat cause any health issues, is this something to worry about?

Thanks for all the info guys and gals.

angus9259":1hhwyd0q said:
Mud's all there is here now - no place left to move hay rings!!
Nothing but slop all the way around the barn, hay feeder, etc going to have some sand hauled in to give them a dry spot. My white cattle haven't had white legs in six months.

Latest posts