Bought a new hay ring..

Help Support CattleToday:

Ugh, stupid cows...
We had one, cant remember which rings were spaced just right, but the calves would get a back leg hooked in it. We had 2 break legs in it....

It seems he only got dumber. Wife found him like this. Lathered his head up with dawn then lifted the ring up and did some mashing and pulling and got him out none worse for wear. I'll have to do some modifications to the hay ring. Should of just bought the one with the solid bottom.

Fuchifarm":2vd4t0u0 said:
It seems he only got dumber. Wife found him like this. Lathered his head up with dawn then lifted the ring up and did some mashing and pulling and got him out none worse for wear. I'll have to do some modifications to the hay ring. Should of just bought the one with the solid bottom.
thats cattle for you has a whole ring full of big holes to stick his head through and picks one of the smallest ones :roll:

That is interesting - I have purchased 8 of those rings and plan on purchasing a couple of more this year as they seem to conserve hay the best of any I have tried and I haven't had any of the unusual problems with them that I have had with other rings. Hopefully, that calf learns quickly!

Ours are similar but they have a skirt on them . Keeps hay inside and heads from getting stuck in smaller holes

It's not just cattle. A couple months ago, I noticed my old dog was standing inside one of the tube gates on a hay shed looking over at me on the porch. I didn't think anything of it, till that afternoon I saw he was still there--just looking over at me. Walked out there and realized he had somehow gotten in there but couldn't figure out how to squeeze back thru the tubes of the gate--or just didn't want to contort that much.
I did have one of the only 2 horned cows get it's head stuck between the pipes of a brush fork we have on a 8n tractor's fel last year. For a while, I thought I was going to have to cut the forks apart to keep her from breaking her neck, but she suddenly lurched and twisted to one side and out she came.Left a horn sheath behind tho.

Latest posts