ring worm

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have several steers that I want to market in mid-February. They show signs of ringworm. I have been told to treat with iodine, which I have done but have not witnessed any improvement. How long and how often should the iodine treatment take place or is there a better method? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Go to your local John Deere dealer and get some fluid film. Little pricey but works fast.

certherfbeef":u9dy52et said:
Go to your local John Deere dealer and get some fluid film. Little pricey but works fast.
What is "fluid film" - does it coat like nail polish??
Ringworm is a fungus, it needs air & moisture to survive.
I scrape all the dry crust away, apply clorox am & pm, than keep it smothered with vaseline.
But, if you are sending them to butcher, and don't need health papers, it won't hurt anything for them to have it.

I have had good luck with iodine, but like Jeanne said, you have to scrape the crust away and get down to the bare skin underneath. I use an old sock or towel, soak part of it in the iodine, and then use that to scrub hard on the ringworm. You should see improvement in a day or two. You may have to repeat to completely get rid of it. Keep in mind that the fungus is very contageous and can easly pass to humans. Good luck.

The Jeffers catalog has products that work well on ring worm. They have a pink spray for it. We use the Povidone scrub at shows as a preventative precaution against picking that stuff up. Also you will need to clean brushes, curry combs, halters etc with a bleach solution. The stuff is very contagious.
Jeffers phone number is800-533-3377.

TXCHICK":39ibcf6o said:
We use monostat 7 on our show heifers. Can use the generic brand.

Monostat 7 is what my Dr. recommends for athlete's foot and says it is great on other fungi like ringworm. He said not to use the 1 day or 3 day varieties as they are not as effective. The generic works fine on the athlete's foot.

Monostat 7 hua? I have a mare with a fungus that just wont go away. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

It was suggested that "fluid film" be used for the treatment of ringworm in cattle. Fluid film can be purchased at a John Deere dealership, or a Case dealership. It is a water resistant lubricant, manufactured by Eureka Chemical Co. of San Francisco. I haven't tried it, but will purchase some and advise of the results later. Thanks to all that responded to my ringworm question. Your time, thoughts and help are appreciated.

I can just picture the pharmacy filled with overall straw hat-wearin' oldtimers asking where they keep the BIG tubes? No, sir it's for my cow--I swear!

I guess I really shouldn't be eating when I read these boards. I was trying not to choke while I was laughing. Around here they would believe that it was for a cow or horse. There are so many folk remedys that they would believe almost anything.

So how are you supposed to apply the stuff? Everyday until the hair grows back? Once a day for 3 days under a full moon? Blue moon? No moon?

Has anybody tried Tinactin or the generic equivalent? I know that we have used it effectively on "rain rot" , another fungal infection, in our horses. No ringworm to try it on....yet. As with Iodine and other topicals, you need to brush off the scabs before application and then just dust it on and brush it in.

So ringworm has nothing to do with worms? I was under the impression from the name it was an actual worm, like what you use ivomec for. Why is it called ringworm if it is not really a worm?

ringworm is a fungus. My vet said its called a worm just to confuse us.
I have tried every antifungal I could think of and my mare still has that fungus. The guy at the feed store said go to a garden store and get some captain powder. It is helping, but..... its still here!! Its fusterating. My mare is an app with a blanket on her butt and a solid chest. Well, it was solid. Now there are white hairs where the fungus was/is.
I'm gonna try the monastat and then the tinactin. If that doesn't work, I'll just dye her brown again after the fungus has finally/if ever died on its own. It just doesn't get that cold here.

bwranch":3tm133dg said:
Has anybody tried Tinactin or the generic equivalent? I know that we have used it effectively on "rain rot" , another fungal infection, in our horses. No ringworm to try it on....yet. As with Iodine and other topicals, you need to brush off the scabs before application and then just dust it on and brush it in.

I haven't used Tinactin on ringworm, but it is not as effective as Monostat 7 for athlete's foot which is just another fungus.

sidney411":1dmwwdaa said:
So ringworm has nothing to do with worms? I was under the impression from the name it was an actual worm, like what you use ivomec for. Why is it called ringworm if it is not really a worm?

On the radio this morning they were discussing ringworm (school problem). It starts as a small red spot or patch and spreads outward in a circle. It leaves white skin patches in the middle as it spreads, causing a red ring that is slightly raised and supposedly somewhat resembles a worm. The fungus that causes it lives naturally in the ground and can be picked up by contact. It is easily spread by contact - sharing clothes or pillows, etc. for people; Rope halters, brushes, collars, etc. for other animals.

years ago i had lots of trouble with ringworm on dairy cattle & tried about everything. finally one old farmer said to put used motor oil on it & it works everytime.

I was told 2 years ago by my vet not to use motor oil when my dog had mange because of all the additives that are in in now. It will burn the skin. They will get chemical burns. I bought Revolution for fleas and ticks and it killed the mange mites too. Wonderfull stuff. Wish they made it for horses.

i agree terri, never had a vet approve of motor oil. but it works on dogs also. works for mange or ringworm. not exactly sure how it works but it never failed me yet, nor has it ever caused any chemical burns on me or anything else.

i have a heifer with ring worm if i do nothing i will not go away right. if i want to treat her wich is the best way iodine, monastat 7, or the stuff you get from the tractor dealer ship. last do you have to treat this daily until gone or do you treat on time and should clear up.

Latest posts