Ring in nose

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3l695jjk said:
KANSAS":3l695jjk said:
What is the purpose of a ring in a bulls nose?
control. you'd be suprized how that a little brass ring will humble a ton bull

I think the origen was with draught cattle that needed a bit of encouragement to start walking and pull whatever implement they were suppose to pull.

Over here all bulls older than 12 months needs to have a nosering to be shown. In practice it works very well when you have a stubborn bull in the chute that needs to be dosed, if you lift the nosering the bull will lift its head and as long as you hold onto the nosering the bull will stand still.

It's supposed to be painful enough to get their attention if you hang on to it.. but personally it doesn't impress me as a way to be able to handle one! We also have to show with them, but I wouldn't show a bull that had to be handled with it.

I thought this was going to be a thread about hip-hop.
My Bad. :mad:
Seriously, nose leads (rings) will make a bull mind. They also, in a practical world, get caught in fences. Therefore, nose rings arent common in commercial cowherds.
I'd use a nosering to control a bull AFTER I had him in a handling crate. Like, to put fly tags or ID tags in his ears. Not as fast on my feet as I used to be. I'm not trotting around the pen holding on to some danged nose ring. I'm going to wear out before he does and the bull has more ability to block the pain.

Lemme tell you. When you put a ring in a bulls nose and grab a'hold of that sucker, you can lead him around like a little dog, without that ring he would probably kill you... ;-)

The last time we had bulls in the lot I'd say 15% had rings and of that 15% half of those had a piece of chain hanging from it dragging on the ground. That chain worked on everyone of them but 1. That one bull even with the chain dragging was smart enough to hold his head off to the side far enough so he could run wide open and chase any person in the pen without stepping on it. But man when the others would give chase and step on that chain they stopped dead in their tracks.

Mongoose":2swsk8us said:
Lemme tell you. When you put a ring in a bulls nose and grab a'hold of that sucker, you can lead him around like a little dog, without that ring he would probably kill you... ;-)
Got to differ with you on this.
I had a strong hold on the ring in the nose of a Holstein bull. That bull spun me up against a wall and out of my hand with no problem and then came at me.

A riled up bull is strong beyond belief and the pain from a nose ring will not stop them.

I used to watch them handle bulls at a stud. With bad bulls they would use a halter and two men with staffs in the ring.

There is also the possibility the ring will tear out.

B&LFarms":2kzcx3z7 said:
At what age do you usually put the rings in?

As soon after weaning as possible. You want the wound to heal properly before starting to use the nosering. Make sure the bull is at least half broke without the ring before attempting to start using the ring.

The nose ring can be a great thing. It is require for show bulls over a certain age. If a nose ring doesnt stop a bull, then I wouldnt want that animal anywhere near my place. When I was working with my bull, one day something spooked him and he bolted, and after him stomping on my foot I jerked on that nose ring and he stopped right away. There were times it didnt work though, like trying to load him on a trailer or into a chute. Pretty much any small confined area. He would plant his feet down and wasnt moving, no matter how hard you pull on that nose ring.

I believe when we had the nose ring put in, the guy said not to mess with it for about 2 weeks. Every time I was working with him after he got big enough where I couldnt stop him in an emergency, there was a rope on that ring. Only used it when absolutely needed.

Ryder":ttm7fvw4 said:
Mongoose":ttm7fvw4 said:
Got to differ with you on this.
I had a strong hold on the ring in the nose of a Holstein bull. That bull spun me up against a wall and out of my hand with no problem and then came at me.

A riled up bull is strong beyond belief and the pain from a nose ring will not stop them.

I used to watch them handle bulls at a stud. With bad bulls they would use a halter and two men with staffs in the ring.

There is also the possibility the ring will tear out.
keywords: Holstein bull

Latest posts