right age to breed

Help Support CattleToday:

glover36

Reaction score
wat is the appropriate age to breed a heifer if u breed her to early will it stunt her growth or...

to not stunt a heifer breed her at 750 to 800lbs. age wise 16 to 18 months. scott

it goes better by weight, all breeds are different. 65% of mature weight. i have three first calf heifers that all are half sisters the oldest was bred early and is much smaller than her sisters.

I breed mine around 14-15months so they calves early for the show ring because the older the calf the better chance you got of winning.

All the shows we go to have different age classes. All the calves show against there own age. If they when there class they move on to try and win Grand Champion. We can show a Brahman calf till she is 3 years old. We dont usually breed a heifer till she is 16 to 20 months.

We use the basic rule of tumb...breed to calve as two year olds...seems to work out about right as they usually are at abou 70-75% of adult weight anyway and continue to grow and maintain condition...

bobby22":1exyx2rw said:
All the shows we go to have different age classes. All the calves show against there own age. If they when there class they move on to try and win Grand Champion. We can show a Brahman calf till she is 3 years old. We dont usually breed a heifer till she is 16 to 20 months.

Its the same thing in louisiana too, except i beleive that registered animals get too show for 2years.

Latest posts