Riding Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Will you consider or have you considered Riding Steers?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• MAYBE

• NEVER

• Total voters

queenielauren14

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im just writing again.. to tell y'all about Riding Steers.. i gave this a go earlier, so trying again to see if anyone new is on, ro if anyone has considered it maybe... now we all at least most of us, i know i do, love to ride horses! But unfortunately some people cant have horses of their own, and cant afford to have one.. and some people just would liek an interesting alternative! Well.. for those on cattle farms who dont have horses... you can now have an animal to ride by training a steer! And those who like adventure, same for you.. Riding steers is an exciting alternative and can perform many of the things your horse can... and if anyone is even slightly interested i invite you to visit http://www.ridingsteers.com put it in your favourites and check it out, talk on the message board, on chat, use our youth programs.. (of which i am the leader) Youth membership is free.. btu you dont need to be a member to post or use chat, just turn up and go for it! Well i do hope to see some positive outcome of this post and hope to see some of you on the site soon!

Lauren King
Youth Leader
International Riding Steers Association
IRSA

I ride longhorn steers on a regular basis. I like. They are smooth, easy moving, and usually dont get in much of a hurry. I've only rode a horse one time in my life, so i dont have much to compare to. But i wouldnt mind having a riding steer, however not at the detriment of any of my other show or breeding animals. I have a good friend that does a lot of training for riding steers, she's known as one of, if not the, top trainers in the longhorn industry.

Also, its not limited to just steers. I have seen bulls trained to ride as well.

Ryan":3fh3moo4 said:
I ride longhorn steers on a regular basis. I like. They are smooth, easy moving, and usually dont get in much of a hurry. I've only rode a horse one time in my life, so i dont have much to compare to. But i wouldnt mind having a riding steer, however not at the detriment of any of my other show or breeding animals. I have a good friend that does a lot of training for riding steers, she's known as one of, if not the, top trainers in the longhorn industry.

Also, its not limited to just steers. I have seen bulls trained to ride as well.

A steer, maybe...a bull, maybe not. :shock:

Alice

Alice":1yxr4kyl said:
Ryan":1yxr4kyl said:

A steer, maybe...a bull, maybe not. :shock:

Alice

I know right off the top of my head 2 bulls that have been broke to ride. One, Zhivago, they actually used to rope during branding and what not. The other belongs to the friend of mine that does a lot of training. Actually i think i rode him... he did pretty good.

Yes, you are right Bulls are commonly ridden too.. Zhivago is a very famous riding bull.. he is pictured a few times down the bottom of the home page if you wanted to see him. Im glad im getting a positive response today. Longhorns are very common riding steers or just photo steers. And yea alot of fun. Good to train, we actually have a few for sale if anyone was interested. One in particular is Liberty Valence, i think he might almost be sold, but that may be able to be negotiated, if you were interested he is a 2yr old (? i think) longhorn, pretty good horns and excellent show steer. Trained by the founder of the international riding steers association in Iowa, he is currently living.. North Carolina! LOL, ive heard he is an awesome steer.. there are many many picutres of him on the photos page too.. but yea im glad you guys are interested, if you have any questions or whtever ask me or come along to the site and msg board!
Lauren

chrisy":7i0blb4z said:
I have riden a Horse, Camel and Elephant and would like to ride a cow or steer, sounds fun. :lol:

I do not think the ride would be the same as those other animals ;-) My older son rode a steer twice on a whim first I was proud he had the guts, but when I saw kids with helmets getting knocked out and faces bleeding, I was a little reluctant and even tried to talk him out of it till he had the gear. But he did it anyway. Them steers can get big and mean at times. Mom was a nervous wreck.

At our local rodeo a couple months ago we had two kids one was 12 and other was 13 (both local boys) that rode Bulls with the big boys. I was very impressed.

I didn't mean a rodeo steer, I meant a steer that was calm that's why I mentioned a cow as I thought they may be calmer, being a lady ;-) :lol:

chrisy":2z18y9w9 said:
I didn't mean a rodeo steer, I meant a steer that was calm that's why I mentioned a cow as I thought they may be calmer, being a lady ;-) :lol:

O I see you want one of them tame pet cows, well I actually know were one you can ride is. At least I have saw a couple kids on her back. If you are not to heavy then she might let you ride her. A kid in our county shows a past show heifer every year as a aged cow and the kids can ride her.

If I win the lottery I will be featuring her at my new Texas petting Farm, $1.00 a ride, $5.00 and you can have your picture taken with her :lol:

aplusmnt":lu024vcs said:
chrisy":lu024vcs said:

O I see you want one of them tame pet cows, well I actually know were one you can ride is. At least I have saw a couple kids on her back. If you are not to heavy then she might let you ride her. A kid in our county shows a past show heifer every year as a aged cow and the kids can ride her.

If I win the lottery I will be featuring her at my new Texas petting Farm, $1.00 a ride, $5.00 and you can have your picture taken with her :lol:

It needs to be in England. as the US is to far just for a Cow ride.

i grew up at my grandparents farm. we had milk cows, when it would get to be milking time,my grandpa would put on the back of his best cow,i remember rideing her to the milk lot. {hadnt thought of that in yrs LOL}by the time i was 5 or 6 i got my first pony.. guess he didnt wanting me barell racing ol bessie. i would ride the big work horses whlie he plowed the fields, once we had a big hog you could ride LOL my grandma was always fussing at me.. " i gonna get killed one of these days" been dusted a few times... LOL Rose

Lol,, alot of cow riding history here after all lol! Its good, tho, saves the problem of having familyt members attatched to a poddy/bottle calf too.. so yea you can jsut keep em. There are alot of people in Texas that do it, btu they really are all over the place.. i will find out for anyone in England. Might get lucky...
Lauren

There is a gal I believe named Angela something that rides a longhorn in the grand entry at the Ellensburg rodeo in Ellensburg Washington. I think it is a steer. His name in Norman.

Cool i wonder if she knows about us.. its becoming such a common thing lately.. i even train my slaugter steers.. even though they are beef only animals.. i do it for the learning and stuff.. i currently have an awesome beef steer, he is about 11months or so old, and a Murray Grey steer... i started breakin him about 3 weeks ago, he reared constantly, until he hit his head on a pole 8ft above his head, then he only put in half the effort. Now i can touch him wherever i want on his body, anywhere down to the toes, inbetween the toes, all over, after only 2-3 weeks work, (first week was reli short n only tied n brushed a bit) and he now lifts his hooves up on command the same as a horse, he is our best parading steer, only a week ago he would not move and needs a nose clip, but now he is the best walker we have, doesnt need any effort, you walk he walks, you stop he stops, hes perfect im very amazed, some steers arent like that for ever.. all my steers have reached that stage in time for the show and earlier, (not this early usually) but my friends have certainly been less fortunate, they are not dumb animals, we should take the opportunity and run with it, they are AWESOME lol.. i love em, i do. Bit obsessed really lol. Bye for now!
Lauren

Took this picture at a fair last year...the guy aboard had always wanted to ride a steer and asked me to take his picture.

PIC00020.JPG

Yes, Katherine, you are right. Bill's animals are so well trained, always a crowd pleaser, and he's a great guy. Here he is:

PIC00029.JPG

And another:

PIC00031.JPG

Latest posts