Steers /cow calf operation

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
Long time back the eastern part of Texas was a cow calf production area. West Texas and the panhandle were steer areas.The advent of Irrigation made the pan handle area Farmable. We dont have Irrigation.
My Father all ways said steers were better than cow calf because all the grass the steer ate was sold.He also said that Selling steers in the fall left pastures to rest and there was no feed bill.
Seems like the more things change the more they stay the same. Dry as it is here steers might be best way to go.
The 1970s were a wet decade,been getting drier every year since. Many around here have sold out. The land will soon be subdivided if the economy picks back up.
Farming for cows is not working too well with no rain. I usualy plant wheat in the first week of september,this year I planted the last week of September in dust so fine had to wear a paper mask to plant. I got 1 3/4" rain on it last Sunday.
It is sticking up an inch and thirsty now. I intend to plow my hay grazer ground next week and get it ready by first week of April planting.
Mean time I am putting out hay and Feeding salt and meal in self feeders. Cows with lean flanks and hip bones showing having calves. Seems like I was doing the same thing back in 1963 for Pop. Steers looking better all the time.

we are pretty much doing the same as you feeding 2 bales of hay a week an 150lbs of 2 to 1 meal every day or every other day.a friend was over yesterday,an he said our cows look the best he has seen in this drought.i was like are you sure an he said yeah they look real good.

Latest posts