riding mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
I'm about to retire my 11 year old murry and was looking at the new Husqvarna riding mowers and was wondering if anyone has any input on these. I know they make good saws, but I don't know about mowers.

My dad has one and it has been used twice since he bought it and then it broke down every time he went to use it so it just sits in the garage. I call it JUNK! Others may have good luck maybe this one's a lemon.

I would not recommend a husqvarna. My brother gave me his zero turn husgvarna and in 2 years I have spent so much getting it fixed I could have bought something new. Now I see why he just gave it to me. He said it was nothing but a problem but it is ridiculous how much goes wrong with it.

I like Husqy chainsaws but I've heard nothing but bad stuff about their lawnmowers.
Tin frame and deck and poorly designed linkages.

We've bought the Poulan (Sears, etc.) brands in the $995 to $1295 range for 42" cut. They last 3-5 years or so. Biggest problem I've found is that sometimes the belts on the deck will start trashing out due to pulley alignment. However, our riders get a lot of hard work also...may be part of problem. Have an old one that we tossed the deck and now use it to pull carts around as needed...motor & gears still work after 6-8 years old. Have had no major repairs with either mower we've had. Just rare belt problem and usual blade sharpening, or replacement.

Can't speak from experience on the Husqui mowers but here's what I do know from experience. We've got a Husky sold by TSC and it's a good mower. Had a little belt problem and carbuerator but these small engines now are overplumbed anyway and occassional belt replace is to be expected. My grandmother had a Western Auto mower that is absolute crap. The spindle and bearing housings on the decks are absolute junk. They are made out of pot metal and have three bolts that attach them to the deck. The vibration and shocks from hitting little sticks in the yard end up breaking at least one a season, sometimes both, and they're like $30 apiece to replace. They aren't even threaded for pities sake and they come with three self-tapping bolts to install them on the deck. Complete crap! My TSC Husky has a pair of ball bearings inside a common flange riveted together and bolted to the deck. I've never had a problem with them at all and I've used that mower a LOT more than the Western Auto one! My Dad used to use the TSC mower in his yard as well and chew up some pretty big limbs since he wouldn't pick them up and other than replacing a worn out set of blades the bearings and spindles have held up very well.

Before you buy one, be sure you check out stuff like that and make sure it's made to hold up, and not designed to be a constant moneymaking 'replacement part' for the dealer. Good luck! OL JR :)

Like Bill, I've bought most of my lawn mowers from Sears. Had the edger for 13 yrs now, the push mower for 9 and my rider is going on its 4th yr...with over 400 hrs on the hr meter on the rider. its the GT5000 model..50" deck / 25hp Kohler engine. Got it on sale for a little less than 2K. You can probably get a deal on mowers this time of yr at most places.

Only rider I will ever own is a John Deere. They really are quite affordable, and made well. We bought ours 8 years ago, haven't had any problems. Good thing about them is that if you ever want to buy another they will give you good for trade in value.

GMN

jfont":3mugw3bh said:
Are the John Deers at home-depoit as good as at the JD dealer? Or are they built cheaper ?
That is something I have often wondererd. I would bet that they are made much cheaper but I don't know.

I have heard that they have thinner mower decks, but I have'nt checked for myself, might not be true.

jfont":2bxwk53r said:
Are the John Deers at home-depoit as good as at the JD dealer? Or are they built cheaper ?

The "Home Depot" John Deeres are made in Greenville, TN. This factory, in the past built the Scotts brand. They are most likely not as durable as the high dollar Deeres. I think they are a good value. I have used my model 118 for two seasons and am still very satisfied with it.

jfont":26ebtz26 said:

I don't know if the ones they sell at home depot, or Lowes are the same as the John Deere dealer or not, we bought ours at the John Deere dealership. The advantage of getting one from a dealer, is parts are easy to get. At Lowes, etc.. they have parts, but not always the right ones, and of course the service is much better at a dealer. I have found the Lowes, etc.. sales people are pretty clueless.

GMN

Had a P.O.S. Sears riding mower; traded it an ol' boy who's somewhat of a shade tree mechanic.We were both tickled (no feather involved). :) We immediately bought a Cub Cadet and have loved it ever since. Or should I say I love it since my husband doesn't "do yardwork" as a general rule.

I bought a YardMan and I love it. Its a higher 50 inch cut and 20 hp Kohler - still runs great after about 12 years. I was cutting over 3 acres for 10 of those 12. A few spindles but no major problems I couldn't fix myself in an hour. Parts ctalog on line with drawings - can't beat that.
MTD makes most of the lawn tractors anymore with a few exceptions.
Take a look at the bigger better stuff they make. Sometimes better price since it not a large brand.
my 2 cents
tom