Zero Turn Mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

Kyanassbr

Reaction score
https://thehomedweller.com/zero-turn-mowers/
So I am planning on finally selling my riding John Deere and going with a 50"+ zero turn mower. I have about an acre and a half to mow, and I need to increase my speed and cut. I want the Kawasaki motor and a fabricated deck. The 2 I am tossing around are Ariens 52" IKON X @ $3,099 and the Cub Cadet 50" Ultima ZT1. Fairly bumpy terrain in spots, but overall fairly smooth. Would love any feedback on these mowers, or one in that price range you would recommend.
After sitting in both I thought I was sold on the Ultima ZT1 with its size, seat and tires. But I noticed it has no arm rest. In your opinion, how important are the arm rest to you? Would love ANY feedback what so ever! Thanks guys and gals!

A zero turn with no arm rest does not sound like fun.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the Kawie motor and welded deck. Only thing I will add is look in to commercial grade mowers. They slight money increase is worth it long term IMO. We have several Scag mowers with no complaints. The decks are heavy plate that you can actually see the beads where they welded them up. You can stand on them also.

There is a thread with pages and pages on zero turns not that far back. Probably worth the read.

If you have a Kubota dealer close to you I'd at least take a look. They have some home owner models out that are really nice.

We have had a commercial Husqvarna 54" with a 23 1/2 horsepower Kawasaki engine for several years.
It is heavy built and haven't had any issues, I've been real pleased with it. Now the Husqvarna garden tiller has been a different story, they aren't making them anymore from what I understand.
I agree with the above comment about a Kubota, I looked hard at one of those, but decided on the commercial mower because the Husqvarna dealer was here in town.

Scags are top of the line. ExMarks are also good mowers which I have owned now for 10 years. Mine has the 23 HP Kohler engine. As someone above mentioned, pay the extra and go with the commercial grade. As for size, I have a 50" cut which is fine for my yard. However, if you have a lot of trees bushes etc in your yard, then it could get complicated on getting around all the shrubs if you have a larger deck. I tried a 62" cut for a few months (used my uncles) and it was a little big for my yards I cut. Good luck.

JD seems to make a nice one.. I about bought a 915 at auction but didn't.. wish i would have now.

I have a Yazoo, it's darned old (1960's?).. 10 hp briggs 36" cut.. welded deck that's still good after 50 years!

I don't know how they are now, but Ariens used to make very good stuff.. Here's my 1950's? Ariens rototiller.. usually starts on the first pull

Dad has a Gravely zero turn. Seems like a great machine, but I've got nothing to compare it to. Trouble free for the first year though.

Remember you get what you pay for. I just sold my 10 yr old John Deere Z465 for half what I paid for it new and then got a new Z930M just so I could have the full suspension seat. I doubt any of the other brands would bring half the original price when they`re 10 yrs old. I`d probably look at the John Deere Z915E it`s closer to the price range and would last many years longer.

I have had a Troy Bilt 42" ZTR for 13 years now. Hard to think that it's been that long. It was the cheapest one you could buy at the time. I've changed the head gasket and typical mower stuff (belts, blades, spindles, etc.) A lot of people hate on them, but the thing just won't die.

Cub Cadet is owned by MTD, even though Cub is their premier line, MTD is pretty well known for cutting corners and making stuff as cheap as possible.

I'd take a look at Kubota and Husqvarna as well.

Wow - no one has mentioned Ferris. Love mine. Trying to picture in my mind if I use my arm rests - yeah, guess I do. I have sort of flat lawn, but pretty bumpy because of wondering escapees now and then.

Latest posts