Rice as pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Has anyone planted rice and grazed it? With over 12 inches of rain (in august the dry month) I'm considering it.

It has been nuts here as well. Pulaski and Phelps have been hard hit. I wonder how Bennett Springs has fared?

We have been getting slammed with rain here in Middle Tennessee as well!! I still have quite a bit of hay to cut (2nd cutting) and it doesn't look like it will get done anytime soon!!

I am 42. This has been the best year for growing grass that I have ever seen. The irony is I couldn't even get Bermuda grass to grow. If it will just rain a little, I am looking at enough stockpiled fescue to last well in January.

TN Cattle Man":27chv43k said:
We have been getting slammed with rain here in Middle Tennessee as well!! I still have quite a bit of hay to cut (2nd cutting) and it doesn't look like it will get done anytime soon!!
i still do to... second field still uncut ,would have be my first cutting.. the first field i cut in may.. has caught back up to the second field..... i also have frogs for sale, if interested....

J&D Cattle":1vmm2ly1 said:
It has been nuts here as well. Pulaski and Phelps have been hard hit. I wonder how Bennett Springs has fared?
The spring probably won;t show much for anythere couple of days to a week. Takes a while to soak in far enough to reach the aquifer, plus most of it is running off. None of our sprigns that dried up in the last drought have started running again yet.

No one around here has seen a summer like this one. Its bad when you are fighting mud in the summer too.

Don't know much about it, Dun. Don't grow it or feed it. Googled rice straw a couple of years ago when we were really hurting for hay and read that rice is high acid content which will make the cattle sick - if they eat enough of it. Also very low protein. Hope this help a little.

In one of the swamps I run cows on in the summer the duck hunters planted wild rice. The cows seem to graze it off ok. Not their first choice but they do eat it.

I was wondering if there are rice varieties that work in drier areas (don't need to be flooded), that are irrigated... been thinking it would be interesting to grow an acre...

I'm sure the cattle would eat it if it's green... might make some good potholes in your field though

lavacarancher":2xu3fn9y said:
Don't know much about it, Dun. Don't grow it or feed it. Googled rice straw a couple of years ago when we were really hurting for hay and read that rice is high acid content which will make the cattle sick - if they eat enough of it. Also very low protein. Hope this help a little.
I saw lots of rice straw bales sold all over the place in fall and winter 2011--came in on 18 wheelers from La and from down near Winnie Tx. I suspect it was just belly filler.

I do remember seeing a Craigslist add that winter--a guy out near Sealy Tx had a barn full of his owncoastal hay, and said he was selling it and was going to feed his own cows rice straw. He was asking $135/roll for the coastal hay if I remember right.

Forget rice--raise crawfish. Sell the mudbugs and buy good hay with the profit.
(That's what they do in the La rice fields after the rice harvest--they reflood the fields and raise crawfish)

It has been a wet year here too, almost 5 inches here yesterday. Raining now and lots of rain all around us. Flash flooding in TN. I have seen water go over fences this year that I never have before. This week I just found a water trough that washed away over a month ago and it almost got washed away again yesterday.

melking":2w0vw2re said:
Since it is so wet where I am, I wonder if I should look into this. Hookline, what say you?
I've been thinking about planting that millet that likes wet feet