RFD TV Auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I don't know if this is rerun, but on the cattle auctions on RFD-TV, I see steers selling now for DEL in Oct - Nov 2013. How does that work? The prices are for steers that are 600 to 700 pounds. Maybe the DEL stands for something other than delivery and that is casuing my confusion. But if you buy a 600 pound steer for $138 per hundred, who keeps him until delivery. I just can't figure out what is going on.

Pretty much what it is, they get delivered on such and such date. That's when they will be on your farm, and be your problem. Until then they are where ever the supplier puts them.
You wouldn't want to buy 500 head, and then delivered the next day would you? I know I wouldn't, the shock of signing the check would set me back a couple weeks. :lol:

sim.-ang.king":3p8h73f1 said:
Pretty much what it is, they get delivered on such and such date. That's when they will be on your farm, and be your problem. Until then they are where ever the supplier puts them.
You wouldn't want to buy 500 head, and then delivered the next day would you? I know I wouldn't, the shock of signing the check would set me back a couple weeks. :lol:

I am not understanding how they value the keep. Do they pay the price for what they weigh the date of sale or the date of delivery?

This would let you sell your younger calves before they are weaned to lock in a price. The seller has to estimate the weight very close to hit the size sold without being penalized. The buyer can buy the cattle before he needs them at the price he sets. That gives the buyer a way to keep a steady flow of cattle thru his lots. It is the same as a farmer selling 10,000 bushels of corn for November delivery shortly after his crop is planted. :cowboy:

mwj":2l00ojn8 said:
This would let you sell your younger calves before they are weaned to lock in a price. The seller has to estimate the weight very close to hit the size sold without being penalized. The buyer can buy the cattle before he needs them at the price he sets. That gives the buyer a way to keep a steady flow of cattle thru his lots. It is the same as a farmer selling 10,000 bushels of corn for November delivery shortly after his crop is planted. :cowboy:

Thanks, that is what I was wondering.

Check out the term ''slide'' used in connection with these sales. It adjusts the price per pound for being over or under weight when the contract is delivered. That way you do not get stuck paying a lot more per head than you contracted for.

mwj":1mud989h said:
Check out the term ''slide'' used in connection with these sales. It adjusts the price per pound for being over or under weight when the contract is delivered. That way you do not get stuck paying a lot more per head than you contracted for.

The slide is only for over base weight on the video sales.

Latest posts