Superior auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for another bull, while I was watching tv the other night superior commercial came on got me to wondering and after some checking there's several fall bull sales coming up. Express ranch was one, they offer free delivery, I don't know how that I'll work but I went ahead and registered anyway. I've watched these sales numerous times before, some sale high some average. Has anyone ever bought from superior and what was your experience with them. Thanks

Never bought through superior but have bought through Live Auctions. Had no issues with anything and plan on buying again. Express, 44 Farms, Gardner are top notch farms and depend on internet sales. Delivery is something that is worked out after the sale and its dependent on how many cattle are coming your way to how close they can get to you. Most are delivered by semi and will have to meet off of interstate. I have known of some being delivered by regular truck and trailer and deliver right to your farm.

Superior is a good auction company. The bull sales etc., are "Superior Productions" meaning that they put the sale on for the ranch such as Express etc. This is different than a calf sale or whatever that Superior has every other Friday where their reps ship and represent the cattle, Superior pays the sellers etc. I've purchased plenty of bulls on such sales and it always goes fine enough and is as good of experience as the reputation of the given ranch that is having the bull sale. About any seedstock guy selling bulls now, whether he puts on a sale or sells off the ranch, will offer some sot of delivery incentive. Free delivery, Free delivery in state, free delivery on 5 or more, $100/head off bulls picked up that day, etc. I haven't paid a freight bill on a bull purchase in probably 10 years.

This will be the first time I've ever considered buying a bull even at auction we've always done private treaty. I have a feeling they'll be way over my price limit just going by there past sale averages, I'm just hoping that the $100k bulls drive up the averages considerably.

TennesseeTuxedo":2o8aa5cf said:
Do you have a budget in mind?

Im kinda of scared to say. I might be way out of my league on these bulls but it's not goingto cost anything to watch and try to bid. There's been several sales I haven't gone to only to find out some of not most sold in my price range. I'll be at work that day so I need something to pass the time

I always looked at it as paying a lot of money for a herd prefix and shipping to get about the same unproven bull you can buy locally from someone who is using SS or ABS semen in their herd. At least the local bull has a better chance to be more adapted to the environment via gestational programming.

Ebenezer":1uhjjiia said:
I always looked at it as paying a lot of money for a herd prefix and shipping to get about the same unproven bull you can buy locally from someone who is using SS or ABS semen in their herd. At least the local bull has a better chance to be more adapted to the environment via gestational programming.

Very true however that farm prefix does help when marketing the calves.

midTN_Brangusman":3l0bvagv said:
Ebenezer":3l0bvagv said:

Very true however that farm prefix does help when marketing the calves.

Right. That's why the AI sired bulls on a farm bring the money and the bought bull is just another bull on your farm. If you want to sell other folk's prefixes, use semen. That way you get the linkage to the other folk's coattails via their current star bulls. Once you get a breeding bull on the farm it is a generation or two behind on the promotions.

I find it easier to raise decent bulls without the linkage.

Latest posts