Rezilon by Bayer Crop Sciences

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I am getting ready to spray my pastures and I think I'm going to try Rezilon this year. My biggest weed concern is sandburs. (I am going to put out lime, too, to improve my ph in the soil.) With a couple of good freezes and record breaking 7" of snow I think I will only need a preemergent this year. Everything I've read about this herbicide looks really good.

Has anyone else used it? Anything I should consider when using it? Does it have any post-emergent control on other weeds?

Well, I put it out on Saturday and added 2, 4-D Amine with it to kill the post emerged weeds. Let's hope I don't see any sand burs.
Does anyone know if Rezilon is effective against smuttgrass? The last I heard it wasn't known. Was still in the testing phase.

TIA
Farmgirl

I saw this and thought "wow,that's early". Then I saw you're in the Houston area. Location, location, location as they say. We're still getting freezing temps at night.

Keep us posted .

:) Yes, it seems early to me and when I asked I was told:
If you think it is early, you are on time.
If you think you are on time, you are late.
If you think you are late, keep your wallet shut and watch the sandburs grow.

We have to get it out by Feb 15 in our area. With rain being a hit or miss and needing the rain to wash it in, I went ahead with putting it out. I could have waited a few more weeks but that would have been cutting it a little close and again, not sure if La Nina has passed.

Follow - up - I'm very pleased with the Rezilon. I think I got 98% control on the sandburs and most spring weeds that had not germinated prior to spraying. I found 1 small sliver of a patch in the previously heavily infested areas and I think this was just a small strip that missed the spray pattern. Grass looks outstanding. I rotated my cows off of it to get plenty of regrowth for an end of May cutting. The hay baler should be real happy. Good and thick and tall already. After I pull my bales off I'll hit it again with Rezilon and hopefully be done for another 6 months.

We've used Prowl H2O with good results, but seems like the stickers are found where there is a cow hoof print in soft or moist dirt.

Prowl is an orange thick mess to work with and to clean up. Gonna give Rezilon a try next year if needed.

and Prowl requires bare soil contact. Rezilon prefers covered soil. Plus, Rezilon has a 6 month residual, works on many other weeds, and you can spray it 30-45 days ahead of rainfall. It does need 1/2" of rain to wash in so I appreciate the bigger lead time.

Latest posts