Retired

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Being retired, I have found has a different meaning for different people. I 'm interested to know what is your take on this.
I retired 3yrs ago(will be in March), and I work harder now than when I had a regular 8hr a day job.To me having the satisfaction of not having to punch a clock every day, ask some one ahead of time when i can take a vacation,And doing the same thing over and over every day. I love to work,and love the feeling of acomplishment. I would just swivel up and die had I chosen to be a couch potato. I can't stand the thought of being couped up in the house all day.

So whatcha think? You don't have to be retired to give your thoughts.

Cal

My maternal grand dad was in his late 80's when we made him quit the garden. He had a bum knee. He would take a folding chair and move it along, setting and using the hoe. Get up and move it, and set back down and hoe.

Folks would come and buy fruit from him. He'd give them a bucket and point at the peaches or plums or figs to be picked. Boysenberry harvests were a family affair.

He and my grandmother were always happy so long as they could do things and had independence. They were always self sufficient. About the only things they bought from stores were paper products, medicines, coffee and spices. He had to quit milking in his mid 80's. Gave his milk cow to a neighbor on the pledge of getting two gallons of whole milk from her every week.

Retiring just means you have more time for the fun stuff. Fishing, working cows, hunting, fixing fence, improving pastures, sitting on your butt watching the cows, etc.

i dont ever plan on retiring.retired from the dairy business.an still kept the stock cows.wont ever retire until i die.i say if you retire completely you die.

dun":8zzhv90u said:
Retiring just means you have more time for the fun stuff. Fishing, working cows, hunting, fixing fence, improving pastures, sitting on your butt watching the cows, etc.

Exactly! It's all fun, fun, fun. Wouldn't go back to work for all the money in the world.

I sold my business back in May and decided I was gonna take the summer off and spend some time with the kids before deciding to either start another business or take a part-time job doing something fun when school started. Well, after having a summer off for the first time in probably 30 yrs, I kinda got used to riding bikes/fishing/working out everyday and have put the job search on the back burner for now, actually probably forever. At 43, I realized that working just isnt as much fun as playing around all day! ;-)

And I cant tell you how much better the deer hunting is during the week than it is on the weekends!!

My Grandfather was 86 when he harvested his last crop. He had a stroke teh next spring and fortunately, he only lived for a couple of months after that. I don't think I'll ever retire. I've had a couple of times in my life when I've been out of work. The first three weeks is excellent. You run around and get all those things done around teh house and farm that you never seem to get to when you are working. But, after you get through that, there's only so much TV you can watch before you start getting antsy and start looking for something productive to do.

Having invested portions of my life in various careers I now consider myself a semi-retired, fulltime, small beef producer.
Energies are just focused in different areans these days...always some new opportunity that opens up that is to good to pass on that takes more of your time and money.
It is good not having to get up at any spcific time...if I'm to late the gals gather on a hill outside our bedroom window and let me know its time for morning feeding.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not, Dave Mc

Being retired sure makes it easier to put off doing odds and ends around the place. There's always tomorrow.....

My dad worked into his late seventies, but he made rocking chairs, cains, (he's made some very distinctive canes that he has sold in several states), he got involved in camping until his eye sight got bad, and he was a founder of his army reunion group. They became quite politically active in their county and Texas.

They are too old to do much now. Dad's knee was replaced and he has more trouble with it now than he ever did before. He has heart trouble and all that age related stuff.

I think that I would like to have a retirement that is useful and fulfilling, like my parents. Fun, too. Want to sit on the porch swing next to Steve and watch the chickens peck the ground. Watch the grandkids play. All that stuff.

Latest posts