Retained Placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

We always just tie it in a knot on itself. Adds the needed pressure to help it let loose. I have been told a little oxytocin gets it to release pretty quickly. Tying it in a knot has always worked for us for a slow releaser. We had one a long time ago that we tied a wet towel to the placenta with twine and it released not long after. The external part was to small to tie itself effectively so it was recommended to use the towel. Worked great. Haven't had much problems with this for a long time.

Update. She is discharging a white cloudy colored mucus suggesting infection from the reproductive or urinary tract. It discharges when she has a bowel movement. That would say to me that the feces passing over the vagina is pressing out the mucus. There is no tissue that would suggest there is more afterbirth. It is 12 days from date of delivery. Should the discharge be treated with an antibiotic? Or do I need to contact the vet to check for more retained afterbirth?

Seems normal. Leave it alone. It will be less cloudy; then all white, then clear with white patches, then clear.

inyati13":27hoi1vx said:
Update. She is discharging a white cloudy colored mucus suggesting infection from the reproductive or urinary tract. It discharges when she has a bowel movement. That would say to me that the feces passing over the vagina is pressing out the mucus. There is no tissue that would suggest there is more afterbirth. It is 12 days from date of delivery. Should the discharge be treated with an antibiotic? Or do I need to contact the vet to check for more retained afterbirth?

You could giver her a shot of PGF2, give her a kick start to let nature take it's course .

ANAZAZI":38u4vhvt said:
Seems normal. Leave it alone. It will be less cloudy; then all white, then clear with white patches, then clear.
Ok. I am glad to know this is not a bad situation. She seems fine. Looks like she feels good, too. Thanks

Our last cow that calved hadn't lost everything after 3 days. She got an oxytocin shot, antibiotic shot; and 3 more PenOne Pro shots over the next three days. She was never off, but retained placenta is something you don't mess with.

Kathie in Thorp":3f0zn0xy said:
Our last cow that calved hadn't lost everything after 3 days. She got an oxytocin shot, antibiotic shot; and 3 more PenOne Pro shots over the next three days. She was never off, but retained placenta is something you don't mess with.
I do Kathie. I go against the norm and get it out asap.

TexasBred":2v1x6ep1 said:
Kathie in Thorp":2v1x6ep1 said:
I do Kathie. I go against the norm and get it out asap.
TexasBred, I learned on goats, and was told never to just pull and rip, as it might leave a chunk inside. To each his own method. I'd have been on this on day 2, but hubby was doing the watching, as I was flat on my back sick. No offense to my right hand man, but there are some things I pay more attention to than he does.

Kathie in Thorp":g1x2zfpo said:
Kathie, was this done at the direction of your vet.

The status of the cow at this time which is 12 days post-partum: There is no visable sign of afterbirth. Whether a piece is still in the uterus, I do not know. I think she is cleaned of afterbirth. But there may be some metritis or the infection could only be vaginal. I did not tear out any afterbirth or go inside her but some afterbirth was still hanging out after 3 days. I was able to gently assist in pulling it out. It was not decayed in any way. But where she stands or more particular when she defecates, there is a discharge of mucus that is cloudy with white curds in it. I am going slow and doing nothing until I see a clear need for action. At this time I am thinking maybe a shot of LA 200 which is effective for pathogenic bacteria that are both gram negative and gram positive. That gives a wider spectrum of impact than the pen products. No way to know if it is E. coli, staph, strep, etc so wide spectrum would seem best. Other option; I will use is my vet if I think I need to do so.

I just wanted to be clear. This may be an infection that has nothing to do with how long she took to clean out. It just might be due to the stress of the delivery. Thanks. BTW, the action you took; was that the directions of the vet? You may be correct also that a chunk is still inside. That is the reason for the oxytocin I am sure as that hormone stimulates uterine muscles to contract. If this goes until Monday, I will probably get my vet out.

Inyati, Yes -- per our vet, for what we did. Got the drugs from the vet. We had what I think was a normal delivery, maybe somewhat prolonged, that happened out in the brush, but we knew where the cow was and how long she was out there, and brought cow/calf in when she delivered. It wasn't rocket science, either delivery or post-partum.

Kathie in Thorp":356qf7tl said:
Inyati, Yes -- per our vet, for what we did. Got the drugs from the vet. We had what I think was a normal delivery, maybe somewhat prolonged, that happened out in the brush, but we knew where the cow was and how long she was out there, and brought cow/calf in when she delivered. It wasn't rocket science, either delivery or post-partum.

Thanks. Hey what was the antibiotic that was given before the follow-up with the pen?

Kathie in Thorp":2sdmmi7j said:

Kathie, I just read the thread above here on drugs. Milkmaid states that oxytocin only works in the presense of estrogen and within 48 hours post partum. If that is correct and there are not mitigating circumstances, then, your oxytocin would not appear to have much value.

Kathie in Thorp said:
I learned on goats, and was told never to just pull and rip, as it might leave a chunk inside. To each his own method. I'd have been on this on day 2, but hubby was doing the watching, as I was flat on my back sick. No offense to my right hand man, but there are some things I pay more attention to than he does.

Notice I never used the word "rip". Never tried a goat. lolol. Might be a tight working area.

Latest posts