Placenta How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Our Cow has not passed placenta 48hours after giving birth. At least what I have seen I have her in the barn and we usually find them, would she of ate it? How long do you wait for them to pass it? How long to wait before lute is given? how much? how many times? thanks

she could have eaten it, or a dog could have dragged it away, or it could still be in there.
If she's not sick and there's no stinky discharge or placenta in the next few days I'd leave well alone. At a minimum 4 - 7 days should be allowed before going in after it unless it's making her sick.

Someone else can answer the lute question. I don't get to handle or use it according to the laws in this region.

No worry yet but the Lute won't hurt anything. I never waited for one to start to stink. By then there WAS a problem.

They usually do eat it, at least almost all mine would if I didn't take it away from them (very tiny percentage
will "stop up" and die, I read--and my dogs love it). If she has nothing still hanging from her, she's probably fine, probably ate it. Different story
if something hanging out.