Retained Placenta - Take Two

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
One of the symptoms of RP is foul smelling urine. Why would the urine be affected? If part/all of the placenta is retained, I can understand an anaerobic infection in the uterus causing the uterus to emit odor. BTW - on a side note, anaerobic microbes create more offensive odors than aerobic. For example, when manure and hay get walked into the ground and the mud turns into that blue/black mess, the odor is extremely potent. Back on course: Why the foul smelling urine unless the RP has caused a urinary tract infection. And one thing you learn in the AI class, urine comes out of an opening in the floor of the vagina not more than 6 inches inside the vulva. You learn that in a very practical way. Because in two days of doing AI practice, it is not long before one of those cows humps up and pees while you are entering the anus and getting your AI syringe into the vulva. But for the bladder to become infected the infection must travel into the vagina and down into the bladder. Does anyone know the reason for the foul smelling urine?

It's just mixing with the vaginal discharge on the way out - that would be normal after calving even without a uterine infection stirring things up.

TexasBred":1oftkkuc said:
I'm assuming she gets plenty of water. Sometimes dehydration can cause urine to be strong.

I may have caused this confusion. The cow that was the subject of the first thread I started on RP has nothing to do with this question. I read a web article I googled and it mentioned that one of the symptoms of RP is foul smelling urine. I did not see why a RP would cause the urine to smell bad. regolith may be right. Since there is going to be a discharge from the site of the placenta, maybe the discharge of urine simply stated, stirs up that discharge and takes on its odor.

Nevertheless, she has water supplied from an automatic water system that is supplied by public water.

Thanks, TexasBred. I appreciate your interest.
Ron