Retained Placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":1bto5ld5 said:
Most vets won't ceck them until about 5-7 days after for a retained placenta. I would try the Lutalyze, 5 cc's only twice, about 4 days apart, if that doesn't work, I would have the Vet check her. She could have a twisted stomach, I know I have had a few of these, I think its they eat grain but not hay or vice versa, can't remember. Does she walk around with her tail in the air, or is there gunk on her tail?

I would be concerned with the off feed, may be worse than a RP.

GMN

Good call - could be a DA as well. They'll be completely off feed for a DA, versus ketosis where they refuse grain but will eat some hay.

Lute can be given more frequently, however - given at 12 hours intervals for up to 3 days causes most cows to clean. Isn't a problem to give that much since it's very short acting (like 3 minutes).

This may not be usefull in this case, but you should NOT give any kind of antibiotic to a cow that has a retained placenta UNLESS she is sick with a fever.
Antibiotics kill ALL bugs - good & bad. The cows natural good bugs "eat away" at the placenta & will also take care of all the bits & piecies left behind when it does fall out. It may stink like heck, but just LEAVE IT ALONE.
Years ago, the vets used to "unbutton" the cardiledons (sp?) but it has been proven to be more harmful then helpful. I am really surprised that your vet immediately recommended giving her a shot.
There have been a lot of good suggestions here, check with your vet.

Latest posts