replacment heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
what should i feed my replacment heifer, oat, or alfalfa hay?
should i give her beet pulp every day or just at shows? :oops:

If you don;t have pasture or grass hay, any other hay will do. If feeding alfalfa she sure doesn;t need any other supplements.

dun

Beet pulp is fed as a filler, I believe. Like in place of hay, but not a lot of nutritional value...at least, that's the way I remember it. Tell me if I'm wrong.

We don't feed beet pulp at all to our show heifers. If you want to look a little bloated, then alfafa should give them gas and do the trick. Also, a little hay belly goes a long way in the ring.

As far as daily feeding, we use a show ration from hi- pro (a Texas company.) I bet you can find some show feed in your area. You should feed 2 to 3 % of their body weight until they look well conditioned. From that point, all you have to maintain the weight which might mean you have to lower the feed intake.

Beet pulp is kind of used as a filler, but it is also a highly digestible fiber that, studies at OSU have indicated, seems to help maintain the bacteria in the rumen and also helps with energy levels in cattle that are fed straight hay. It is also very palatable. We mix it with the ground hay that we feed (when necessary) during the winter time

Beet pulp is dry, comes in a 50lb bag.....we add it to daughters older horses feed ration, but we wet it before addin it to her other ration. Just seems to help her digest and keep weight on better with the beet pulp added. I buy mine from feed store in navasota. It's what's left over of a beet after they've squeezed the beets to make sugar. think it's only about 6 % protein......but helps with the roughage part of their diet.
I've never fed it to cattle tho.

sidney411":17z7a73l said:
Where do you buy beet pulp? Is it dry or wet?

Up here you can buy the dehydrated pellets, or (if you're lucky and put your name way ahead of time) you can get the the pulp from the sugar factory after they have processed the sugar beets. That's what we get when we can.

Latest posts