Replacements Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer":3ee5l4vm said:
elkwc":3ee5l4vm said:
Prices at the sales on commercial bred heifer vary from $1,650-2,650. Private treaty asking prices vary from $2,500-3,900. There are black heifers on every corner and they are not selling very fast even if they are very good. Black baldies and Red Angus are hard to find and moving fast if priced at or below $2,750

elkwc- Where are you located at? This must be a regional issue as I've seen no change around here.. The demand is still for black... The buyers still cut back a red or a baldie or any with too much white when they are sorting thru a pen of black cattle... And the high quality black replacements and bred cattle top the markets..

It is amazing how there are such regional differences in demand for different breeds. In the Midwest the tides seems to be turning away from straight black angus and seeing a lot more demand for black baldies, Herefords, Simmental, and red angus and the state beef expo sales here have shown that trend too. Here's the sale averages by breed at the Iowa Beef Expo this past Feb, even broke down the bull averages in ( ) You can see the demand for Angus bulls around here show they are no longer top dog. In fact the Herefords have been either the top breed or in the top 3 over the Angus here for a few years now. 2014 sale averages Angus was $3567 while Hereford were $4662 which is quite a gap. Probably wasn't more than 10 years ago where Angus was almost always the top selling breed around here.

We sell all our bulls private treaty and most of our buyers are guys looking to breed for black baldies not only because of the heterosis you get with the cross but they know they'll get a better price at the sale barn for them too. One guy who has bought multiple bulls from us said he'd never use anything other than a Hereford bull again as he was getting an average of 100lbs more at weaning so it is crazy to think how in some regions like ours guys are seeing the value of using non-black hided breeds where other places black is still the king and anything non-black is getting less at the sale barn. I guess it's all about making decisions based on the demand in market conditions in your region. Some guys around here are even buying some black angus influenced heifers at a good price, breeding them to Hereford bulls and either selling them off as bred heifers in the fall or calving them out and sending the pairs the following year and most are probably making some good money doing it at the moment. These sale averages below the Simmental and Herefords sold the top selling females on the sale, Simmental set an all time record with a heifer selling for $30,500 and the Herefords set a breed record with a polled heifer selling for $23,000. In comparison the top Angus female was sold for $11,000. Anyone curious on how the breed sales have done here since 2012 can find the lists here too: http://www.iowabeefexpo.com/results.htm Granted those are just the averages from breed consignment sales but a lot of commercial breeders do buy their herd bulls from those sales.

Simmental 130 lots @ $5658 (73/$5598)
Hereford 69 lots @ $5375 (37/$5123)
Limousin 36 lots @ 4639 (32/$4719)
Angus 100 lots @ $4626 (71/$4651)
Charolais 56 lots @ $4558 (33/$4702)
Gelbvieh 38 lots @ 4143 (10/$4785)
Red Angus 46 lots @ $4064 (20/$5055)

RWF prices are a little unpredictable at the sale barns but I never seen a Hereford calf or RWF calf outsell a solid red or black calf at any sale barns I went to. Herefords are getting replaced by other breeds around here.

Oldtimers math got by everyone. "Both lots weighed 534 average- blacks brought $1.83 for $976- reds brought $1.80 for $924"
CSM

CSM":1dflcw6e said:
Oldtimers math got by everyone. "Both lots weighed 534 average- blacks brought $1.83 for $976- reds brought $1.80 for $924"
CSM

Yeah it got past me too... ;-)
Comical- or scarey-- because I wrote that down right from the tote board in the salebarn ! :shock: Apparently their computer wasn't computing right...

Oldtimer":lq6tu50b said:
CSM":lq6tu50b said:
CSM

Yeah it got past me too... ;-)
Comical- or scarey-- because I wrote that down right from the tote board in the salebarn ! :shock: Apparently their computer wasn't computing right...

Or your eyeballs (or pencil) are broken!

Stocker Steve":2opzotq2 said:
elkwc":2opzotq2 said:
Prices at the sales on commercial bred heifer vary from $1,650-2,650. Private treaty asking prices vary from $2,500-3,900. There are black heifers on every corner and they are not selling very fast even if they are very good. Black baldies and Red Angus are hard to find and moving fast if priced at or below $2,750

What is driving a higher demand for red ?

Quality and performance are the main two reasons I hear. Also there are black heifers on every corner and at least 40% of them should never of been bred. Commercial breeders are learning just because they are black doesn't mean they are good and will perform well. Another reason I hear is the Angus push on CE and moderation has decreased the size and performance of many especially those sired by AI poster child bulls. These are just a few of the reasons. A sale barn manager in this region stated two years ago that a good Black baldie would bring a 250-300 premium. This year he said the Red Angus females had joined them. Said he had way more requests for them than the black ones. I contacted a heifer developer recently. Had his Red Angus heifers priced at $2,250, his Black Baldies at $2,225 and his purebred Angus at $2,150. They all originated in NE many from the same ranches. He sold his Red Angus and Black Baldies the first day he had them advertised. I contacted him and he sent an email back saying they were sold but that he still had all of his Angus heifers and they were just as good. I told him I wasn't interested. Then 4-5 days later he called to see if I would be interested if he would lower the price. I said no. Last I knew he still had all of them. I looked at another group of around 160 outstanding black heifers that have been for sale for over a month and last I knew none had sold. These are typical of what I'm seeing here.

CSM":2bydh1ca said:
CSM

Color pricing really varies here.
For feedlot cattle - - red discounts in larger groups run $0 to $2 per cwt.. Small lots can be much more. Smokes usually sell with reds. So which stocker is the most profitable. Smokes, followed by reds.
For cows - - most barns discount red $50 to $100 per head, but at one barn red is par - - or even premium - - to black. So which one is worth more? It depends...

It will be interesting to see, Superior has a select replacement sale tomorrow. There is a bunch of Red Angus bred heifers to the front end of the sale. We can all tune in and see what the price difference is.

Dave":5n576ofh said:
It will be interesting to see, Superior has a select replacement sale tomorrow. There is a bunch of Red Angus bred heifers to the front end of the sale. We can all tune in and see what the price difference is.

I'll have to look tomorrow night and see if they sold as I will be at a bred heifer and cow consignment sale at the local barn.. Not much to compare tho-as I was looking at the already consigned list- and there is 640 bred black angus cows or heifers (bred to black angus bulls) -- compared to 50 red angus (bred to red angus bulls)...
Blacks still rule in this part of the country... If there is much local demand for reds- those 50 reds should be pretty pricey.. ;-)

http://www.glasgowstockyards.com/php/marketreport.php

Dave":3t7luyah said:
It will be interesting. They are hard to find around here. Some Red Angus breeders just laugh when you ask if they have any for sale. I wasn't sure if this was a regional thing in this area or more wide spread.

I haven't had time to watch much of Superior but what little I did the reds and blacks seemed to sell about the same. The one take away I did get was once again reminding myself how happy I am that I contracted my heifers back in June. They were selling big soggy heifers that looked a whole lot better than those I sold for a lot less money than I got.

Really wasn't good comparable sets of cattle between the few reds they had and the blacks because of differences in calving dates and such... The only identical time period bred cattle coming from the same owners had a $10 per head difference... Black bred heifers brought $2060- reds brought $2050...

As far as replacement heifers the top of the market were 40 1090 lb A.I. bred black heifers to start calving March 10th that sold for $2350...The top red lot were some 1000 lb bull bred (Koenig Reds bulls) that sold for $2250.... Big Dry Angus sold some purebred black angus A.I. bred heifers that weighed 1020 that sold for $2050...By the time I left they were selling lots of black angus bred heifers for as low as $1775- depending on quality- and still had quite a few consignors left to sell...

My old partner from Galpin Angus was pretty happy when his registered black angus heifer calves sold for an average of $1566..

Went and looked at the results. Prices were sure down. A lot cheaper than all of the heifer developers are still asking around here. Looked like $2,450 was pretty much the top end. I couldn't tell a lot of difference between breeds in the results I saw. They are still asking it here. I talked to two developers about heifers yesterday. Red Angus and Baldies were 1-150 a hd higher. If there isn't a big rebound soon makes a person wonder what they are going to do. As one old cowman told me just wait till the predicted snow falls if it does and about two weeks later a person will be able to buy them at market value.

At the sale on Friday there was a set of about 15 good black heifers. They announced that they had been run with a bull for two months but they didn't even bother to preg check them. They brought $1.30 something. Weighed just short of 1,000 pounds. The guy who brought them in had out bid me for them last spring, so I know he paid more that when he bought them. They said he only sold them because he lost some money on a logging deal. So he sold at a loss to cover his loss. That is seriously going backwards.

As most here would probably agree (I think), I don't care if a person is buying cattle or buying mutual funds or equities for retirement, the money isn't usually made on the rise in price, but on the decline....so get ready to buy.

Gators Rule":11jh1f02 said:
As most here would probably agree (I think), I don't care if a person is buying cattle or buying mutual funds or equities for retirement, the money isn't usually made on the rise in price, but on the decline....so get ready to buy.

I skipped the first bred cow sale of the season today. I was afraid I could not keep my hand down... When should I double down on cows?

Stocker Steve":kzxqka1b said:
I skipped the first bred cow sale of the season today. I was afraid I could not keep my hand down... When should I double down on cows?

I skipped a bred heifer sale, first of the fall that I know of. Supposed to have had some heifers from some reputable producers in the area. It was hard to stay home. It was a couple of hours away, so that made it a little easier for me. I have a contact in the area that was going, so maybe I'll hear from him today. The only way I could have went and not bought was to not take a trailer, not knew someone with room coming back, or a place to put them up for the night. :lol2:

Latest posts