Repairing Barb Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
Thought I would ask...Is it worth repairing barb wire where it has broken or should I just tear it all down and string new
wire?

JH

To me it all depends on bad it really is. If its just broke in one spot like in between to T-Posts or something just splice a little piece in and be done. If its broke all over and rusted up and just junk I would tear it all down.

jhambley":s5b4ku2l said:
Thought I would ask...Is it worth repairing barb wire where it has broken or should I just tear it all down and string new
wire?

JH

Old and rusty - perhaps.

Old and rusty and brittle - how deep is your pocket? Otherwise fix it best you can.

Shiny and new - yup!

Bez>

I use a wire stretcher to splice back. its about two feet long with clamps at both ends and a jack handle . holds both ends and allows you to pull them together or close enough to tie in a new section and when you release it it's tight works great

Unless the whole fence is in really, really bad shape, I'd repair it if possible.

New fencing is a lot of work and a lot of money. Get every dime out of the fence you've got before replacing it.

jhambley":3qj7e22z said:
wire?

JH

It depends on the condition of the wire. If still in good condition - absolutely! If it broke due to being rusty - no.

Buy a crimping tool. You can repair broken fence very quickly when splicing it back together.

ALACOWMAN":2kgl4m1l said:
I use a wire stretcher to splice back. its about two feet long with clamps at both ends and a jack handle . holds both ends and allows you to pull them together or close enough to tie in a new section and when you release it it's tight works great

I use the same thing. I don't leave home without it when fencing.

If at all possible fix the wire. Fencing is too expensive to be replacing all the time. Besides if it is anything like up here the wire quality is going downhill. We have wire that is nearly 50 years old on some fences. Discoloured but holds great and still bends and fixes. Then we have wire we bought this year that is junk in comparison.

When I bought my place the owner's family had been ranching on it for over 125 years. Needless to say it had been replaced or repaired several times. My point is that even some of the newer wire was about 30-40 years old and still good. I just repair what I can, but like several people mentioned, if it's brittle I'd just replace the wire.

Just an aside, I've found barb wire imbedded in some of my oak trees. Nothing unusual right...they were about 8-10 feet up. Good luck.

ERodrig":2138ttzh said:
Just an aside, I've found barb wire imbedded in some of my oak trees. Nothing unusual right...they were about 8-10 feet up. Good luck.

Well you know. Everything is bigger in Texas right.

jhambley":waz4ypxf said:
wire?

JH

It would hard for me to imagine myself asking someone else's opinion on something like this when I know they can't see the wire or the condition it's in.

New wire can break just like old wire.

What am I missing here?

6M Ranch":13klppe5 said:
Buy a crimping tool. You can repair broken fence very quickly when splicing it back together.

I'm going to be doing some major fence repair in the coming weeks and have been looking for such a tool. Anyone have a picture or link? I've seen the stretching tool others have talked about but would like to get a look at the crimper before I decide.

Hasbeen":1vqqlbgn said:
6M Ranch":1vqqlbgn said:

I'm going to be doing some major fence repair in the coming weeks and have been looking for such a tool. Anyone have a picture or link? I've seen the stretching tool others have talked about but would like to get a look at the crimper before I decide.

As bad as I hate to say this Tractor Supply will have both the stretcher and crimping tools if that's what you choose to use. Personally I never use crimps to splice wire. It's much too easy to put a loop in one end, stretch the wire and run the bitter end of the other end through the loop and tie it off. You're done - until the next break occurs which will be someplace else.

Earl Thigpen":2jiwy2so said:
It's much too easy to put a loop in one end, stretch the wire and run the bitter end of the other end through the loop and tie it off. You're done - until the next break occurs which will be someplace else.

That's pretty much what I do too. Those stretchers sure make spicing a tight wire easy work.

ERodrig":3goh9pbi said:
When I bought my place the owner's family had been ranching on it for over 125 years. Needless to say it had been replaced or repaired several times. My point is that even some of the newer wire was about 30-40 years old and still good. I just repair what I can, but like several people mentioned, if it's brittle I'd just replace the wire.

I thought wire stapled to a tree stays at the same height. Growth always adds on to the top.

Cowdirt":qjdutxn2 said:
ERodrig":qjdutxn2 said:

I thought wire stapled to a tree stays at the same height. Growth always adds on to the top.

You are correct. But I also have wire embedded in bark high in the trees. This is on the river. Water takes out a fence and it gets washed into the trees. Years later it is embedded in the bark. Looks like there may have been a fence there since most of the old growth big trees are in fence rows.

Latest posts