Repairing barb wire fence

Help Support CattleToday:

memory

Reaction score
Just found this place and it looks like a great place. Here lately I have been fixing some barb wire fence. I have some questions on tightening the fence. Normally when I go to tighten each strand, I go to the corner post, remove or loosen the staples and take a pair of vise grips and put it behind a barb and use a crow bar to apply pressure to the strand. I know probably not the best way to do it but it usually gets the job done for the most part. The biggest trouble I have with this method is I can not put enough pressure on it to pull the barbs through the staples. The staples are left a little loose but the barbs do not want to go through the staples. Usually there is space on each side of the staple for the fence to move but sometimes I will have to add a piece of wire and when I go to tighten it, it will move quite a bit.

I have been looking into getting some kind of tool to tighten barb wire. I found a few different products that I wanted to get your opinion on. The first is the Texas Fence Fixer, how well does this work? When you go to tighten it, can you put enough pressure on the wire to pull the barbs through the staples? The second is the Bulldog Stretcher. This one has me intrigued. Again, how well does this work? Out of these two, which would you prefer? I have also thought about adding ratchet strainers to the middle of the fence. The thing about that is I would think you would need to remove a few barbs to get it started in the ratchet and removing barbs is a pain. Heck, messing with barb wire is a pain in general. Another thing I have thought about is I thought of using the winch on my atv but I figured I could only use that on a strand or two, it would be to high or low for the other strands.

Usually I am by myself when fixing fence so anything you suggest should be one person friendly.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

For the situation you are referring to I use a Jake's wire tightener. Very easy to use and you can come back later to tighten some more after the wire has worked thru the staples if needed.

Here's a link where you can buy them:http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html?gas=jakes%20wire%20tighteners

You will need to buy a handle with your first order of clips. BTW-I use the 1/4" clips and they are adequate for my barbed wire. I think the 5/16" clips are a new product.

Texas PaPaw":1tqev63m said:
For the situation you are referring to I use a Jake's wire tightener. Very easy to use and you can come back later to tighten some more after the wire has worked thru the staples if needed.

Here's a link where you can buy them:http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html?gas=jakes%20wire%20tighteners

You will need to buy a handle with your first order of clips. BTW-I use the 1/4" clips and they are adequate for my barbed wire. I think the 5/16" clips are a new product.
That's what I use too. Even have used it to tighten 12.5 gauge high tensile hot wire.

I've seen others here give bad reviews of the product, but I like my Texas fence fixer a lot.

Bigfoot":2yef5mta said:
I've seen others here give bad reviews of the product, but I like my Texas fence fixer a lot.
can ya get enough on it to do a long run..looks best for short runs but i like that unit

Texas PaPaw, those clips look quick and easy, almost to easy, but can you put enough pressure on it to pull the barbs through the staples?

dieselbeef, I have thought about using them. Do you have to remove any barbs on the side that goes through the ratchet? I think in the long run, these would save a lot of time. I was also wondering the same thing about the Texas Fence Fixer.

well i do sometimes.but the end that it att to that goes thru the hole sometimes i just smash em down and pull it thru pretty easy..its like a 3/8 or 1/2 hole. then just twist it together.

the other end it wraps up on..stick it thru and start cranking.
they werk good on h braces too so you can just keep tightening your corners if they start to lean in

dieselbeef":2oplppqh said:
Bigfoot":2oplppqh said:
can ya get enough on it to do a long run..looks best for short runs but i like that unit

It's only good for tightening an existing fence.

memory":2bxdhrg7 said:
Texas PaPaw, those clips look quick and easy, almost to easy, but can you put enough pressure on it to pull the barbs through the staples?

dieselbeef, I have thought about using them. Do you have to remove any barbs on the side that goes through the ratchet? I think in the long run, these would save a lot of time. I was also wondering the same thing about the Texas Fence Fixer.

Never tried to but doubt they would pull thru the staples unless they were very loose.

highgrit":2n0betf9 said:
I use a goldenrod and cut and crimp.
Goldenrod is the best for barbed wire especially on long runs. Can use it at a corner or in the middle of a run,.....anywhere. I dont use the crimps though so I don't know how well they work. I just splice using hand tied loops. I can repair a lot of fence in a day with a quad, a goldenrod, and fence pliers.

I have taken to using the ratchet fence strainers to tighten Barb wire....works very well and you can always come back and retighten....

my neighbor uses the stretcher and crimp clamps and from my observation they are not worth crap....they fail and sag and or break at the crimper. I would hand splice before using those.

I grew up with the old fashioned wodden handle fence stretcher and still have one and always take it on a known fence repair project. but I keep a couple of ratchets in my fence tool bucket. use to carry them for the high tensil and used one in an emergency once on Barb and it worked so well that it is my go to fix now.

i have went back and installed em on the loose wires. now i install em when i build the fence. its the best for keeping it tight.

Next time I build fence I am going to use the ratchet tensioners myself. I have never had a proper size crimp pull when using a crimping tool. And this includes all the one's I use while long line fishing, which is more than 1,000 per year easy. It's all what your use to I guess.

using them to build corners is a bonus too. twisting is alota trouble when all ya goot a do is a few clicks..next yr if ya need to..a few clicks..i swear by em

dieselbeef":3dgrc6e4 said:
using them to build corners is a bonus too. twisting is alota trouble when all ya goot a do is a few clicks..next yr if ya need to..a few clicks..i swear by em

you bet....I use the ratchet tensions on my floating braces as well.

pdfangus":2nw0hhn1 said:
dieselbeef":2nw0hhn1 said:

you bet....I use the ratchet tensions on my floating braces as well.
I use the daisy tightners on floating braces

On using the ratchets, how do you add one to an existing fence? Unless the strand is really loose, would there be enough to connect the ratchet? By the time you wrap one end, I would think it would be to short. If I ever have to run a new strand or build a new fence, I will add the ratchets.

For now, I think I am going to hold off on buying anything. I have been using a ratchet strap and connecting it to either a post or the atv.

To add one in you'd usually have to add in a piece of wire. I've only done it when a wire has been broken. For tightening, try use a come-a-long. You can add a lot more pressure than a ratchet strap.

Latest posts