Renting rates

Help Support CattleToday:

#LHB#

Reaction score
What is everyone paying an acre for renting pasture land? Good pasture with good fence good fescue grass, is $45 an acre to much?

For as long as your grazing season is, and the AU per acre you can carry its probably fine. If it will carry 1AU/2Ac then it should be fine.

Isomade":3d2hn3p1 said:
For as long as your grazing season is, and the AU per acre you can carry its probably fine. If it will carry 1AU/2Ac then it should be fine.
What do you mean AU per acre? Whats AU stand for? Animal Units? If so were at about 1 AU/per acre.

Lhb,
What about water, shelter And total acreage? Any out building? Working facilities?
SL

Sir Loin":16qk06c1 said:
Lhb,
What about water, shelter And total acreage? Any out building? Working facilities?
SL

266 total acres has working facilities for cattle, no buildings, has fresh town water in every pasture(which is free I dont have to pay for)

Rent is based on what that property or you operation can pay. Good book keeping should answer that. Be careful with market rates. Just because Jo-Blow down the road is paying $XYZ doesn't mean you should. A lot of people have no clue what they are making, or not making.

LHB,
OK!
Shelter ? I will assume there are some trees for shad in the summer. ( would be better if they had a pond to get in to cool odd.
Is it hilly so they can get out of the wind on rainy days and under trees?
How long has the land been cleared?

What are the terms?
Will you pay yearly or monthly?
Will you have a sign lease? How long?
Or will you be a yearly renter?

SL

Sir Loin":2qkqh1xo said:
LHB,
OK!
Shelter ? I will assume there are some trees for shad in the summer. ( would be better if they had a pond to get in to cool odd.
Is it hilly so they can get out of the wind on rainy days and under trees?
How long has the land been cleared?

What are the terms?
Will you pay yearly or monthly?
Will you have a sign lease? How long?
Or will you be a yearly renter?

SL
SL There are plenty of trees for shade and probably 10 acres worth of ponds. Its flat no hills and as far as I know it has always been cleared and been in pasture for 30yrs probably. Its $45 an acre pay monthly or yearly. Will rent this year and if everything goes well will lease for 4 years at a time. Thanks!

Hey SL,

Now I would think a man with your vast infinate knowledge would not approve of cattle in ponds due to the potential of spreading parasites or disease through drinking. You know since they deficate and urinate where they stand.

Perhaps the shelter trumps the dirty ponds.

Ok, it sounds like you are young and just starting out.
Re:
will lease for 4 years at a time.
Ok that's fine and everything else look good.
Now about a lease if things work out.
Look into a "first right of refusal" if the owner should decides to sell.
Google " real estate, first right of refusal" and you should be able to find a good explanation.

Also look into a possible "lease purchase" lease, where a portion of your rent goes towards the purchase price should you decide to buy it.
IMO this could be a " terms make it or break it" deal.

As for $45 per ac, at least try for better terms, but I would do it, as its for only 1 year and you can walk away if that nut is too hard to crack.
Best of luck
SL

#LHB#":31y3et0s said:
Isomade":31y3et0s said:
What do you mean AU per acre? Whats AU stand for? Animal Units? If so were at about 1 AU/per acre.
Yep, sounds good. I'd rent it.

#LHB#":nzcqze6o said:
Sir Loin":nzcqze6o said:
Lhb,
SL

266 total acres has working facilities for cattle, no buildings, has fresh town water in every pasture(which is free I dont have to pay for)

Free city water on 266 acres 1 head per acre? Sounds like a deal.

Isomade":2f77kw9h said:
#LHB#":2f77kw9h said:
Isomade":2f77kw9h said:
Yep, sounds good. I'd rent it.
What if you only had a few cows?......:)

Sir Loin":1knlxd0b said:
Ok, it sounds like you are young and just starting out.
Re:
will lease for 4 years at a time.
Ok that's fine and everything else look good.
Now about a lease if things work out.
Look into a "first right of refusal" if the owner should decides to sell.
Google " real estate, first right of refusal" and you should be able to find a good explanation.

Also look into a possible "lease purchase" lease, where a portion of your rent goes towards the purchase price should you decide to buy it.
IMO this could be a " terms make it or break it" deal.

As for $45 per ac, at least try for better terms, but I would do it, as its for only 1 year and you can walk away if that nut is too hard to crack.
Best of luck
SL
Thanks SL yes im young and this will be my first time on my own. Thanks again for your help. My father has cattle and I just wonted to get some other peoples opinion who have been in the buisness longer than us.

LHB,

In my part of the country that is a screaming deal! If you can swing it and stock it so it pays then go for it.

LHB - I'd say go for it, land around here is hard to come by and high as heck when you run across it. The going rates for new leases start at $300+ per pair for a five month grazing season (May to October). Some young guns are bidding up to $3/day/pair just trying to keep their herd together during the drought.

Wish you luck! Gabe

Latest posts