NE Texas stocking rates

Help Support CattleToday:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
I'm trying to get more information on stocking rates in NE Texas particularly in the Paris to Texarkana area. I'm looking at listings online but the ones that publish the stocking rates in the listing seems to vary greatly. I'm seeing ranges of 6-7 acres per cow/calf unit to as low as 2 acres needed per cow/calf unit? Is there anyone in this area with some real life experience? I'm talking about improved pasture land, now wooded areas.

rynophiliac":2g2rx8mm said:
I'm trying to get more information on stocking rates in NE Texas particularly in the Paris to Texarkana area. I'm looking at listings online but the ones that publish the stocking rates in the listing seems to vary greatly. I'm seeing ranges of 6-7 acres per cow/calf unit to as low as 2 acres needed per cow/calf unit? Is there anyone in this area with some real life experience? I'm talking about improved pasture land, now wooded areas.
I am about 90 to 100 miles southwest of you. Here the stocking rates vary from 1 cow to 8-10 acres to a cow to 2-3 acres depending on the type grass and how well it has been taken care of.

backhoeboogie":2eeo8m2r said:
If I move cows to my place in Marshall, they starve to death, in chest deep grass.
You know you can not move from west to east. Right here in Van Zandt County, you can see as much as 30 lbs difference in weaning weights of calves with similar ages and genetics just from going 30 miles from Wills Point to Grand Saline.

BC":1t8nax9b said:
backhoeboogie":1t8nax9b said:
If I move cows to my place in Marshall, they starve to death, in chest deep grass.
You know you can not move from west to east. Right here in Van Zandt County, you can see as much as 30 lbs difference in weaning weights of calves with similar ages and genetics just from going 30 miles from Wills Point to Grand Saline.

We had the drought. There was grass in Marshall. I simply didn't think it was as bad as it is. Put the cows in deep grass and they declined. People had told me. Just like you are telling me. I guess I had to know first hand.

backhoeboogie":3hf28l71 said:

How do they starve in chest deep grass?

I have no experience with east Texas grass , I have always heard of poor quality grass in East Tx. due to low fertility in the soils that does not put protein in the grass, also high rainfall leaches the fertilizer out of the soil, I have also heard the stocking rate is one to five acres per cow, a rancher learns to manage the soil for stocking rates in your area.
Someone in that area can answer the question better than me , I would like a good answer myself from someone in E. Tx.

cowboy43":x6cxztd6 said:
I have no experience with east Texas grass , I have always heard of poor quality grass in East Tx. due to low fertility in the soils that does not put protein in the grass, also high rainfall leaches the fertilizer out of the soil, I have also heard the stocking rate is one to five acres per cow, a rancher learns to manage the soil for stocking rates in your area.
Someone in that area can answer the question better than me , I would like a good answer myself from someone in E. Tx.
We have sandy to sandy loam soils that do not have much inherent fertility or the capabilities to hold nutrients due to soil chemistry. As you move from east to west, you get lower rainfall which means less watering down of the nutrients in the grass. Backhoe moved cows from an area that gets on average 36.8 inches of rain per year to an area that gets close to 50 inches on average. We can grow lots of grass, it just is not as nutrient dense as the grass further west. I live close to half way between Backhoe's places and we get on average 42 inches.

BC":nhw6uk9c said:
cowboy43":nhw6uk9c said:
We have sandy to sandy loam soils that do not have much inherent fertility or the capabilities to hold nutrients due to soil chemistry. As you move from east to west, you get lower rainfall which means less watering down of the nutrients in the grass. Backhoe moved cows from an area that gets on average 36.8 inches of rain per year to an area that gets close to 50 inches on average. We can grow lots of grass, it just is not as nutrient dense as the grass further west. I live close to half way between Backhoe's places and we get on average 42 inches.
How's that different than our brethren in Florida?

BC":2pywzxfu said:
cowboy43":2pywzxfu said:

How many acres per cow do you need there with 42 inches of rainfall?

Ol' 243":dr8in71v said:
rynophiliac":dr8in71v said:
backhoeboogie":dr8in71v said:

How do they starve in chest deep grass?

I'm curious too.
A lot of pasture never sees any kind of fertilization. The grass will eventually grow tall but will be extremely low in protein and digestibility. Filler only.

BC":2ntg9u9r said:
cowboy43":2ntg9u9r said:
What have you been averaging last 3-5 yrs?

Kingfisher":6ouqerjp said:
BC":6ouqerjp said:
cowboy43":6ouqerjp said:
What have you been averaging last 3-5 yrs?
Kingfisher, sorry it took a while to look up my rainfall. Here it is:
2012 - 43.64 inches
2013 - 40.23 inches
2014 - 31.85 inches
2015 - 82.30 inches

TexasBred":578qfdx1 said:
A lot of pasture never sees any kind of fertilization. The grass will eventually grow tall but will be extremely low in protein and digestibility. Filler only.

That's exactly right. Hay trucked in here was the same way.

backhoeboogie":2cx0d28b said:
TexasBred":2cx0d28b said:

That's exactly right. Hay trucked in here was the same way.
Very true. It all looks good in a bale but appearance is a poor indicator of quality.

[/quote]
A lot of pasture never sees any kind of fertilization. The grass will eventually grow tall but will be extremely low in protein and digestibility. Filler only.[/quote]

Bingo.
With an average of 60 inches of rainfall in my county fertilize leaches out.
Another problem soil is highly acidic and lime is as important if not more than fertilizer.
Grass also has a high water content and lower protein seen cows from west scour and nearly starve to death before their gut gets lined out.
There is also our grass is Bahia might as well embrace it cause you are not changing it Ma nature
loves the stuff here.
As I have said a thousand times if a cow can't make it on my grass and hay I need a better cow
cause I can't change the grass.
As far as stocking rates go that depends mine was a cow per acre lot of fertilize to maintain that for
years. That will change the bottom line in a heartbeat the way prices fluctuate.
Since destocking from the drought and health issues I still fertilize or lime the pastures just not as heavy.

Latest posts