Renting a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
I have a young commercial bull that a neighbor wants to rent. What is a fair monthly price and what if he loses it or the bull dies.This is a young unproven bull but he just wants to try and get 5 or 6 commercial cows bred.
Thanks in advance

If I was going to let him use him, it'd be for free. If a few rolls of hay showed up at my house, I'd know he was a good neighbor.

I paid a former student of mine $75/month last year. I thought it was fair. He did deliver and pick up though, don't know if your pastures join.

Rental bulls go for $300/month here for a minimum of 3 months. We have a business arrangement for our bull and pay $250 a year for his service on 5 cows, plus feed and vetting (he's owned by someone else as their tax deduction but lives on our pastures).

I was thinking about 25/calf paid when and if they are born but what if something happens to the bull?

If you aren;t wanting to use him during this period, just him taking "GOOd" care of the bull would be sufficient. That is he comes home in at least as good a condtion as he left and maybe a little better. I would have a BSE and trich test done on him when he leaves and a trich test done when he comes home.
If he dies he owes you a fair market value for the bull, that value should be determined before he goes a visiting. If he comes home sick or really run down, a fair value should be determined before he goes too.
And put it all in writting, doesn;t have to be fancy, just clear and concise and signed by both.

mtnhunter":hic29fn9 said:
I was thinking about 25/calf paid when and if they are born but what if something happens to the bull?

I don't have any personal experience with renting bulls, but I was talking to a guy a few years ago that rented them out. He required the person renting the bull to take out an insurance policy for his value.

M-5":3bwxwbyt said:
If he is a good neighbor and takes care of his animals and you can keep a check on him. I wouldn't charge much if anything
I'd make a deal to feed him too if he's young and working. He'd have to grow his own bull if he had one so feeding yours if he's working should be part of it. Not a little but as much as your bull wants is what I think us fair to him you and the Bull.

A good friend that keeps 10 to 12 bulls to rent out. He charges $50 per cow and has no requirements for covering losing a bull, he considers it his loss. In about 10 years of renting Bulls the only problem he had was one broken penis, sold for slaughter. I'm with the group no charge although $25 sounds fair enough, he'll be feeding him anyway and only six cows he's not going to be working too hard. If his pastures and fences look safe I wouldn't worry too much about him dying, he could die at your place for the same reasons, but I would make sure I could see him from the road or my place most of the time and the fences and pasture were safe.

I'm renting my Balancer out this weekend to some folks. 21 cows for 60 days. They write two checks upon delivery, one $500.00 check for the rent. One for $4000.00 check for deposit. I hang on to the $4000.00 check and hand it back to them upon a healthy maintained bull pick up. With the cost of bulls these days, it's the only way I will rent one. :2cents: B&G

Leasing bulls has become a fairly profitable business for my family. I won't tell you what to charge, because there are sooooo many variables that affect that. What I will suggest, is to put your agreement on paper, whatever it is. Specify things like cost, deposite if applicable, weight/BCS at delivery and pick-up, if the leasee can transport animal, INSURANCE ISSUES, veterinary care, ect. If you try to be a nice guy and do the deal on just a handshake, it could come back to bite you in the end. There are only a couple of people that we lease bulls to without the paperwork, and they are immediate family! You can be kind to your neighbor and cut him a deal on the price, just don't skimp on the paperwork.

Looking for other ideas.

I have a long yearling a friend inquired about leasing. My inclination is that he's $X / month for three months, with a "you break it, you buy it" clause (that includes trich; I don't think he has it, but if he does, the bull is a steer), and maybe insurance.

Just thinking through the lease rate. My only other source of info is a guy I know who gets 5-10% of the bulls value per month (so, a $10,000 bull will cost $500 / mo (minimum).

Does trich show up right away?

My son in law just mentioned him and my daughter may try to buy some cows next year. He hit me up about the bull use. I'd have the little bull tested before he goes, and have them test him before he comes back. Should I require they test the cows first as well? I had read somewhere that the cows will clear of trich in six months or so? But a bull has it forever?

WalnutCrest":ghnmemt1 said:
Looking for other ideas.

I have a long yearling a friend inquired about leasing. My inclination is that he's $X / month for three months, with a "you break it, you buy it" clause (that includes trich; I don't think he has it, but if he does, the bull is a steer), and maybe insurance.

Just thinking through the lease rate. My only other source of info is a guy I know who gets 5-10% of the bulls value per month (so, a $10,000 bull will cost $500 / mo (minimum).

Must vary by region . We can rent a quality bull around here for 400-500 $ for 4 months. Servicing 25-35 cows.

talltimber":9s4k9ai6 said:
Does trich show up right away?
Outward signs in 1-3 weeks in cows, none in bulls.

talltimber":9s4k9ai6 said:
My son in law just mentioned him and my daughter may try to buy some cows next year. He hit me up about the bull use. I'd have the little bull tested before he goes, and have them test him before he comes back. Should I require they test the cows first as well? I had read somewhere that the cows will clear of trich in six months or so? But a bull has it forever?
Yes. Read this: http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-resources/healthy-heifer/Trichomoniasis-in-cattle-125145309.html

Just talked to my AI guy. He said good bulls on lease are going for 1500-2500 for three months with a you-break-it-you-bought-it policy (re: trich / death).