Remington 700 troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I bought the gun last year and the trigger pull was to hard so I took it to a local gunsmith and asked him to adjust the trigger . I told him around 4 pounds would be good.
When I got the gun back and bolted a round into the barrel, k-boom, the gun went off . It would fire every time you bolted it.

I took it back to the gunsmith where he "adjusted" on it some more . He says its safe but I just cant get over the gun firing on its on.
The bolt now opens with the safety on safe is this normal?

Sounds like he is not much of a gunsmith. I always check mine after I make adjustments by dropping it on its butt a few times.

Older 700 won;t open with the safety on but anything newer then about 15 years or so do.
After he has adjusted it, cock it, put the safety on, thump the but on the ground a couple of times. With out touching the trigger flip the safety off. If it firingpin drops the trigger is not adjusted correctly.

Rem 700's have a well deserved reputation for very good factory triggers and getting a 4 pound pull out of one should be no problem. Sounds like your gunsmith adjusted it too light. I have made this mistake on one of my 700's. I too do the drop test with an empty chamber after a trigger adjustment. I also work the bolt and squeeze the trigger pretty hard with the safety off. You can never be too safe with a firearm. The 700 factory trigger should be more than adequate for 90% of your average rifle user. The factorys are forced to sell the rifles with pretty heavy trigger pulls because of our litigious society. I shoot quite often and used to compete in bench rest competitions so I got used to a very light trigger pull. I own several 700's and most have had the factory trigger replaced with either Jewel or Timiney trigger sets.

Latest posts