Remington 870

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Bought one at an auction this weekend, doesn't even look fired, 12g. 2 franklins , couldn't believe it brought less than a mossy 500 in 20g. I didn't need another 12, but oh well.

snoopdog":1cwll9bi said:
Bought one at an auction this weekend, doesn't even look fired, 12g. 2 franklins , couldn't believe it brought less than a mossy 500 in 20g. I didn't need another 12, but oh well.

PRETTY MUCH anything that shoots is worth $200 imo.

snoopdog":39rnq3e8 said:

One of the best design actions ever.
You got a good buy if it's a Wingmaster.
Don't own one myself length of pull and drop of comb doesn't work for me.

What model of 870 is it? Like CB said, if it's a Wingmaster that's a good price. I have a pretty nice collection of pre-1972 Wingmasters in my collection (all like-new)... .410, 16, 20, and 12 gauges. The 16 gauge took me the longest to find in the condition that I wanted. Ended up getting one out of Italy.

TN Cattle Man":7izp82js said:
What model of 870 is it? Like CB said, if it's a Wingmaster that's a good price. I have a pretty nice collection of pre-1972 Wingmasters in my collection (all like-new)... .410, 16, 20, and 12 gauges. The 16 gauge took me the longest to find in the condition that I wanted. Ended up getting one out of Italy.
Its the express model

snoopdog":11d1ikjh said:
TN Cattle Man":11d1ikjh said:
Its the express model

You didn't get robbed still a decent deal.
The Mossberg 500 was worth more then IMO. Mossberg builds a fine shogun for hunting that works. The are just not heirloom quality.

I heard good things about the old 870 Wingmaster. The Express is still a good gun though.

dwayson":2im6zmvb said:
I heard good things about the old 870 Wingmaster. The Express is still a good gun though.

I will agree the first few years of production. After that pretty much a boat oar. Remington as a company is gone when it comes to quality.
The company was slipping and fell off the cliff after being bought out early 2000's.

I do agree the mossy's are great guns, and I have had my eye out for a 20 g double of some sort, but when they set it in at 100, I couldn't help myself. Another bid would have bought it. I'll see if I like it on a few claybirds and decide its fate. CB, how does that screw in choke come out? special tool?

snoopdog":1ev1tcae said:
I do agree the mossy's are great guns, and I have had my eye out for a 20 g double of some sort, but when they set it in at 100, I couldn't help myself. Another bid would have bought it. I'll see if I like it on a few claybirds and decide its fate. CB, how does that screw in choke come out? special tool?

Usually a dime will work in a jam if you don't have a choke wrench.
Do not shoot it without one screwed in.
If you do you just created a trot line weight.

For years my hunting shotgun was a Belguin Browning A5. When they made us use steel shot for waterfowl I bought an 870 express. I didn't want to run the steel through the Browning. That 870 has been drug through the mud and all sorts of bad weather. I used and abused it. It never failed me. A cheap gun but one that keeps on keeping on. It has killed a ton of ducks.

snoopdog":1hk96a4r said:
Wow, thanks, I had no idea

If you don't have a choke gauge you need to pull the choke to determine constriction. Shooting steel through a full could leave you with a trotline weight as well.
If it is full your best advice is don't use steel shot, replace the choke with modified or improved cylinder.
Cost about twenty bucks a new choke unless you get into the custom stuff.

Brute 23":1550b1rg said:
If I come across a Wingmaster in good shape at a decent price I buy it. When I die, people are going to be like... why in the heck does some one need this many of the same gun... and I don't have a good answer for them. :lol:

I am the same way on the BPS and Winchester's. I have 8 BPS in 410 to 12 with three being 16 including the upland special. Those are as rare as chicken lips.

Latest posts