Remember Gertrude and Fred

Help Support CattleToday:

Was in the shop today and I saw Gertrude. It looks like she has gotten fat and sassy on mice.

IMG_4479.jpg

Didn't mind her get fat but she copped an attitude.

IMG_4480.jpg

With her attitude I thought I'd kick her out of her house so I caught here and carried her into the barnyard to let her go.

IMG_4482.jpg

The ungrateful winch turned on me and tried to run me. I caught her again and she hit the highway. Literally.

No oak snakes around here, Looks like a copper head or rattle snake and would have been treated as such. Normally (always) kill them and then guess what they are.

chrisy":2riztgp0 said:
Was she dressed in a nice shade of blue when she went.... :frowns: :lol:

Nah, I reserve the blue paint for the poisonous ones so they can't hide. :lol: I was mad enough at her I had hoped she got hit by a car but no one came by so she's probably back in the barn by now rearing her children. :dunce:

ROCKSPRINGS":2riztgp0 said:
No oak snakes around here, Looks like a copper head or rattle snake and would have been treated as such. Normally (always) kill them and then guess what they are.

These aren't poisonous at all which is a good thing cause they do seem to have a temper. When given the chance to run they sometimes prefer to hold their ground. They will bite you if given the chance.

I have some sad news to pass along. Two distant relatives of Fred and Gertrude have recently passed on. Unfortunately, one was observed climbing up a shovel handle just inside the garage door and the other relative was laying on the iron rack simulating a piece of re-bar.

As they were retreating, the shovel and re-bar became as "one" with each one of them and so I sadly report that there were no survivors after each incident. By the way, they were both correctly identified as "dead snakes" by myself and my wife and we were not able to tell if they were male or female as thier bodies were, were, were, well, a bloody mess. It was so awful, I've had flashbacks and nightmares ever since they were discovered!

Jo, please pass this information on to Fred & Gertrude as I am sure they would want to know.

I'll let that be a warning to them that we will tolerate no more sassyness. Killing a mouse is alright but when and if you make the adrenlin rise you can be replaced with mice bait.

Funny you mention snakes: my 10 year old son caught 8 last week of all kinds. Racers, grass, coach whip, florida brown, banded water snakes. Today I found a yellow rat snake in the barn. But he was wrapped around the wires of the fence controller. He was still alive but very stunned. Best I can figure is the rain earlier had helped some. Wet bushed sag onto the wire and he didn't get the full dose. Anyway, we uncoiled his contracted body off the fence and wires and he was fine. Put that 4 ft snake back in the barn to do his job

hooknline":29z4fxxk said:
Funny you mention snakes: my 10 year old son caught 8 last week of all kinds. Racers, grass, coach whip, florida brown, banded water snakes. Today I found a yellow rat snake in the barn. But he was wrapped around the wires of the fence controller. He was still alive but very stunned. Best I can figure is the rain earlier had helped some. Wet bushed sag onto the wire and he didn't get the full dose.

Anyway, we uncoiled his contracted body off the fence and wires and he was fine. Put that 4 ft snake back in the barn to do his job
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Latest posts