Reluctant first time mom

Help Support CattleToday:

SconnieBeef

Reaction score
Hi guys, my other heifer gave birth to her first calf early this morning, unassisted. I was wondering if maybe the birth was a kinda hard or long though because the calf was covered in manure? I wiped most of this off but the mom didn't seem that interested in the calf and keeps trying to take care of the other cows 4 day old calf. I don't really have a great setup for an extended seperation but I've got the pair by themselves in the barn and after seeing me bottle feed her colostrum it seems she may have gotten a little jealous and came over and started to lick her quite a bit. I finally had to leave to go to work for a little bit but she wasn't kicking her or knocking her down anymore so I hope thats a good sign, my wife will be checking on them often. I would think I will have to keep them seperated for at least a week or so to make sure she doesn't try to take care of that other calf again when she sees it right?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I'm sure I'll get. :tiphat:

SconnieBeef":2h7xpdme said:
I would think I will have to keep them seperated for at least a week or so to make sure she doesn't try to take care of that other calf again when she sees it right?
You are thinking right, that's about the best you can do. If she is not knocking it down and is licking it, it's a good sign. Now you just have to see if she allows it to suck. If she does you can probably let them join the others in a day or two if not sooner.

OK, right now they are laying down together about 5 or 6 feet apart, have been like that for an hour or so, we'll see how it goes when they get back up, the calf did steal a few sucks when the cow was distracted before so like you said, hopefully she lets her get a good nurse in.

jerry, thats exactly what feels like im trying to do lol

Thanks

You feeding her colostrum concerns me. Yes indeed, the calf has to have it. But getting it from a different source might affect the calf's scent. I would have put that heifer in a head gate and let the calf get some from momma.

What grafting calves onto nurse cows, I have found that it takes about 3 days before the cow accepts the calf's scent.

One trick is to milk the cow some and sponge the milk onto the calf. Sometimes that has worked for people.

Also wondering if the calf that this cow is attracted to had been nursing her a bit before she calved.

Keeping the cow and calf together is the right move as well as keeping them away from the other calf.

backhoeboogie, the other calf never nursed on this heifer I'm having problems with, actually the heifer was never interested in that calf until hers was born, she then began licking the 4 day old calf instead of hers. I did spray the heifers face and the calf with MotherUp. I could put the heifer in a headgate but I just have a headgate on the end of a 10' alley, I don't think the calf would fit in the alley with the mom and there's no way for her to nurse through the alley panel bars. I'm open to suggestions on this matter though. The calf is much cleaner since I seperated them so she must have given her a good bath, figure thats a good sign, still thinking the big test will be if she lets him nurse.

Thanks

SconnieBeef":1uky8xnb said:
Hi guys, my other heifer gave birth to her first calf early this morning, unassisted. I was wondering if maybe the birth was a kinda hard or long though because the calf was covered in manure? I wiped most of this off but the mom didn't seem that interested in the calf and keeps trying to take care of the other cows 4 day old calf. I don't really have a great setup for an extended seperation but I've got the pair by themselves in the barn and after seeing me bottle feed her colostrum it seems she may have gotten a little jealous and came over and started to lick her quite a bit. I finally had to leave to go to work for a little bit but she wasn't kicking her or knocking her down anymore so I hope thats a good sign, my wife will be checking on them often. I would think I will have to keep them seperated for at least a week or so to make sure she doesn't try to take care of that other calf again when she sees it right?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I'm sure I'll get. :tiphat:

OK, most likely what has happened is that just before she gave birth, with all the hormones going on in her, she decided that the older calf was her calf. This isn't an exceptionally uncommon thing to have happen, especially if you are calving in a small area. Although I've seen it happen when cows were on a large area as well. Sometimes the mothering instinct is so strong that they will run around looking for a calf before they have even calved, and if they find a young calf, they will take it for their own. Usually it happens with fairly newborn calves (under a day or 2 old). Then when they calve, they don't really want their own calf. Some (like your heifer) aren't really sure which calf they want more, and some are absolutely sure that the older calf is theirs and it will be a big fight to convince her that her own calf is hers.

The other thing that might have happened is that when she had her calf, she got up and the first calf she found was the older calf, or maybe they were close enough together that she thinks they are both hers. We've had cows calve back to back, get up and both take 1 calf, or take each other's calf. It's not such a big problem if they each claim a calf (even if it isn't actually theirs) but when they both want one and nobody wants the other then it's a little more interesting.

As far as the calf being covered in manure, that's not too big a problem, and likely not why she doesn't want her own calf. It may or may not be cause by the length of birth, most likely by the wet calf trying to get up and falling down in the manure.

You did right by separating them. If she's licking it and not trying to kick it off then things are probably coming along just fine. But keep a good eye on them to make sure that the calf is sucking her and she is letting it. Sometimes a calf will get kicked a couple of times and then won't try to suck again because it thinks/knows that it will get kicked again.

As far as feeding it colostrum, you did the right thing. I wouldn't worry about it changing the scent of the calf. If this heifer isn't sure about the calf, I doubt that the change in scent from the colostrum will change her mind either way.

I don't really know if you need to use the headgate or not. That's for you to decide. Whatever the case, I really wouldn't put the calf in the chute with the cow. That is asking for trouble. If the cow were to start fighting the headgate she could easily trample the calf and there would be nothing you could do about it. BUT, would there be anyway you could remove a bar from your alley? And if you do put the cow down the chute to deal with this, make sure and tie the back leg back (on the side you're working on) so she cannot kick you or the calf.

Another option would be to put a halter on her, tie her up, and then also tie one back leg back. This is best done against a fence if possible.

Hopefully you don't have to worry about any of that and your heifer takes the calf on her own. One of the joys of working with heifers is that they just aren't sure about things. That can make things easier (not as hard to convince her to take a different calf) or harder (because she might take someone elses calf...)

If she does have to go in the chute, put the calf on through her hind legs. That's the safe way to do it if there's no side access.

Thanks everyone for awesome input, well after work I had to build a windbreak for the other pair and I then went to check on the confused mom and calf, the calf was laying down but I rousted the calf up to see if I could get her nursing, the first couple tries the heifer seem a little hesitant, gave a couple really half-hearted kicks and then I stood there for a half hour or so after that and she let the calf nurse for that whole time without any troubles. She was really patient as the little heifer calf looked for the udder and licked her hind end when she was sucking. I think they are finally starting to figure things out after a long and eventful day for the both of them. :D Feels Good

The trouble starting...
20140220_071544_zpsb11e2c0e.jpg

Dirty calf
20140220_083102_zps0bd09286.jpg

Yours truly giving colostrum to the dirty calf
20140220_095415_zps56b4c36d.jpg

Mom and calf after a good lick down
20140220_111700_zps1017f763.jpg

Awesome. Sounds like they have it figured out. It's challenging when they are calving in close quarters, these things happen. Mind you I've seen it happen when they had a quarter section to calve on too...

By the looks of that calf (yellow) you're probably right the heifer most likely took quite a while having the calf. That yellow colour is because the calf had a BM before it was born. The meconium stains the calf and they come out with that yellow colouring.

Thats what I was guessing might have happened, thanks for confirming, as this is my first ever calving season I am doing a lot of on the job learning, or learning the hard way. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining, when you learn lessons the hard way they have a way of sticking with you :lol:

Thought I would update this, just put the cow/calf pairs back together when I went home for lunch, the formerly reluctant mom was doing a good job trying to keep her calf away from these "new" cattle at first. :lol: She sniffed the other one and then ignored it, exactly what I'd hoped for. Thanks again for everything guys & gals! :tiphat:

Latest posts