registering cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

LaneFarms

Reaction score
I have some half blood heifers I was thinking about registering. My question is, is it worth registering half bloods and breeding them up to fullbloods?

LaneFarms":1ktx4cz7 said:
I have some half blood heifers I was thinking about registering. My question is, is it worth registering half bloods and breeding them up to fullbloods?
i dont know what breed you have.but in my opion youd be better off buying reg cows.an going from there.

"Halfbloods" (aka "Cross-breeds"). I don't think you can register one in the usual association registries. A half-blood mated to a full-blood will get you a 3/4 calf. I'd start out with full-blood cattle that can be registered (assuming the animals Sire AND Dam were both registered).

Nothing wrong with it if your breed association allows it. I'm sure it will be designated on the papers?

People do it all the time.

yeah, assuming your breed allows it, people do it all the time. thats how we got black ___(insert breed here)_____.

In Your Breed Association Do They Allow 1/2 Blood To Be Reg. If So Yes Reg. Them Your Next Calf Crop Bred To Purebred Will Be Worth More

LaneFarms":3jks0oeo said:

Depending on how your association works, registering your half bloods could give you access to registered sales you would not otherwise have access too. That can make a significant difference as far as the sale price goes.

LaneFarms":1fn4p9p4 said:

The AGA will register percentage, hybrid, blancers, purebreds and fullbloods. You cannot breed up to fullblood, those are direct decendants from the original german bloodlines. The ones that are bred up are called purebreds 7/8 for females and 15/16 for bulls. You asked if it is worth doing........well it depends if you can get enough extra $$ out of your calves to pay for registration and membership fees, and extra time in filling out forms, keeping records, and weighing calves. Females must have ww reported to get registration papers and bulls need ww and yw.