Reg. Gert bull crossed with Braford cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just getting into the cattle business and plan to run a pretty small operation(between12-15) head. Was curious what I could expect if I cross my Reg. Santa Gertrudis bull to F1 brafords?

Considering this or going straight Reg. Gerts.

Thanks for the input.

Too much ear (and possible too much frame) in this cross. If I were you, I'd cross Gert to either Hereford or angus

Welcome to the forum. Where are you? If you're pretty far south you might be okay with that cross; otherwise maybe not.

I believe so, it should be 3/8 Brahma, 5/16 short horn, and 5/16 Hereford. Where beefmaster is 1/2 brahma, 1/4 shorthorn, and 1/4 Hereford.
I was just curious if any one had any experience with this cross or ever heard of anyone using it and what to expect from it?

I'm some how picturing it showing way more ear than a beefmaster though. It may not, but sure seems like it would.

The only reason I am considering Braford over Hereford is because my location. Herefords tend to struggle where I am from, Galveston County, so I thought the white faced red Braford would be a good substitute.

I have also been reading about the star 5 heifers from Gert X Hereford. Would those be a good option to breed back to pure Gert?

Honestly I just liked what I have researched about the Gerts and it's a personal preference of the red over the black Brangus.

There are a couple barns around where I am from but the one I will most likely use is a sale barn in Victoria, TX area.

I like the red motley face star 5 Gert X Hereford but being new to this I'm concerned about the Herefords struggling in these Texas Gulf Coast summers.

Herefords can do ok if you find some from this area. Otherwise it'll take them about a year or more to acclimate. We have some friends that raise them, but they always have a pretty long waiting list for heifers. If you've really got your heart set on star 5's, the best way to go about it would be to get some Gert females and put a Hereford bull on them. The Gerts would handle the humidity a whole lot better, last longer, and you would only have one Hereford to mess with! Be prepared to take a huge beating on the steers, though, if they aren't extremely thick. We've always done well on our calves at El Campo. But ours are black, #1 Brangus calves. Black still brings a premium! And the cows really do a good job. If you went with Braford cows, you couldn't go wrong putting a cleaner made Brangus on them. I think a Gert would give the calves way too much ear, if you're worried about making any money on the steers.

ricebeltrancher":110zanrp said:
Herefords can do ok if you find some from this area. Otherwise it'll take them about a year or more to acclimate. We have some friends that raise them, but they always have a pretty long waiting list for heifers. If you've really got your heart set on star 5's, the best way to go about it would be to get some Gert females and put a Hereford bull on them. The Gerts would handle the humidity a whole lot better, last longer, and you would only have one Hereford to mess with! Be prepared to take a huge beating on the steers, though, if they aren't extremely thick. We've always done well on our calves at El Campo. But ours are black, #1 Brangus calves. Black still brings a premium! And the cows really do a good job. If you went with Braford cows, you couldn't go wrong putting a cleaner made Brangus on them. I think a Gert would give the calves way too much ear, if you're worried about making any money on the steers.

What do you think about breeding him back to some star 5 Gert X Hereford cross heifers?

Just get ya some of them salt grass girls from over south of Winnie Stowell--they can handle anything Texas throws at 'em.

http://www.progressivecattle.com/compon ... e-elements

0314pc_fears_5.jpg

Is he low birthweight? I think the heifers would make really good cows, but the steers would get discounted pretty heavily.

Yes, he was low birth weight. I'm still waiting on his papers so I can't remember exactly what his EPDs were though.

Back in the day, Mayfair Ranch in Brenham, TX used to raise F1 Brahman x Herefords. They would breed some of those to Gert bulls hoping for heifers. Jim Theeck, who was the manager, told me that was as close to reproducing a true F1. Some were solid red, some red motley faced and some came looking like a F1 tigerstripe. He would brand them at weaning with an SX so they could be distinguished from his true F1's. Lots of those sold from Brenham to the coast.

Just getting into the cattle business and plan to run a pretty small operation(between12-15) head. Was curious what I could expect if I cross my Reg. Santa Gertrudis bull to F1 brafords?

Considering this or going straight Reg. Gerts.

Thanks for the input.
Gert is 5/8th shorthorn.3/8 Brahma. f1 Braford is 50% Hereford and 50% Brahma. So the offspring will be 7/16th Brahma, 1/4th Hereford, and 5/16th shorthorn...basically a Beefmaster.

Back in the day, Mayfair Ranch in Brenham, TX used to raise F1 Brahman x Herefords. They would breed some of those to Gert bulls hoping for heifers. Jim Theeck, who was the manager, told me that was as close to reproducing a true F1. Some were solid red, some red motley faced and some came looking like a F1 tigerstripe. He would brand them at weaning with an SX so they could be distinguished from his true F1's. Lots of those sold from Brenham to the coast.

I helped in the office a time or two when they had their special sales. I couldn't believe the prices those cattle brought. If I remember right they brought in buyers from hundreds of miles away.

By the way, I sold my yearling Hereford x Black Brangus heifers to Mr. Theeck a year or two before he died. I decided maybe I was doing something right if he liked my cattle.

Latest posts