Red Poll bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
Just thought I would share some pics of our Red Poll bulls we have on the bull test at Connors State College.

Fire away....you won't hurt my feelings.

PeteBigBoyHurley8-24-11.jpg

PeteandHurley9-24-11.jpg

Hurley9-24-11.jpg

Caspar9-24-11.jpg

Good looking, indeed.
Hey Jovid,
My dad used to raise and show Red Poll (and Guernsey) cattle way back before I was born - had considered trying some Red Poll in my cross-breeding program, if just for nostalgia's sake.
The only Red Poll bull I've seen semen available on from any of the major semen sources is Pinpur Trakin'(Trackin'?) Tall. Can you comment on that bull? Or other sources for RP semen?

Lucky_P":5g1mpm13 said:
Good looking, indeed.
Hey Jovid,
My dad used to raise and show Red Poll (and Guernsey) cattle way back before I was born - had considered trying some Red Poll in my cross-breeding program, if just for nostalgia's sake.
The only Red Poll bull I've seen semen available on from any of the major semen sources is Pinpur Trakin'(Trackin'?) Tall. Can you comment on that bull? Or other sources for RP semen?

Don't know anything about that bull but we have semen for sale on the sire and grand sire of the bulls in the pics.

Check out the Brahma / Red Poll cross calf. I would love to do some cross breeding but the demand is high for breeding stock it's hard to justify it at this time.

Never could turn down a big butted bull or woman. I'll take the one on the left in the first pic!

3waycross":2ujez433 said:
Never could turn down a big butted bull or woman. I'll take the one on the left in the first pic!

I bet you would....he is quite unique.....I can hardly wait to see how his ultrasound data is going to turn out. I have an idea....

nice set of bulls John, hope they do well for you, i know i sure like mine. can't wait to see his calves next spring.

Jovid,

Nice looking bulls with good rears and masculinity. Are you a member of your association's grass-fed initiative? If so, then why put them on a feed test? Just curious.

ANAZAZI":jql9k7e4 said:
Now these are really nice bulls! More rear muscle than most red polls?

I'll go out on a limb and say they have more rear muscle than most black cattle. :D

AllForage":oys63vfz said:
Jovid,

Nice looking bulls with good rears and masculinity. Are you a member of your association's grass-fed initiative? If so, then why put them on a feed test? Just curious.

We are part of the grass fed initiative. All our cows and older bulls have to make it on grass. We send the bulls to the bull test for several reasons. One is to gather the ultrasound data, plus the come out of there with a BSE an scrotal measurement. Plus it is just a cheap for them to feed them and we don't have to mess with them for four months.

brimmer X":1g1hnsx4 said:
Nice bulls. I see some Charolais in the back ground. Have you done any cross breeding with them?

I have never seen any calves out a Charolais cross but I think the Brahma / Red Poll cross calf I posted is a good example of what a good Red Poll bull will do in a commercial herd

Latest posts