Red clover delimia

Help Support CattleToday:

The local co-op has a no-till still they rent but I've never had any luck using it, we have used it 3 or 4 times with zero success. And the reason I'm going with fescue is bc it's done very well for us in years past and our cattle do great on it, cows come our out of the winter fat and happy. I am going to put equal amount of orchard grass on it. There will probably be enough red clover seed come up for the first cutting next year, but I'll lose it when/if I spray it next spring after first cutting. Might add a little Ladino clover for added nitrogen.

dun":1e1fgl55 said:
Why disk instead of no till? That will just bring up another seed bank of weeds
It depends on how heavy the sod is for me. cutting it up a little with a disk seems to open the dirt up a little so theres not as much competition for the new seedlings.

Aaron":1ed6v1o5 said:
dun":1ed6v1o5 said:
Aaron":1ed6v1o5 said:
I will never understand why people purposefully seed clover of any kind. It's like they are asking for extra work.
Pretty simple! Makes an excellent dulutor of the endophyte in fescue and adds nitrogen to the soil.

Will trefoil not work?

trefoil is not an option in warmer climates....it will grow in the mountainous area of Virginia but will not grow on our flat land...to hot here.

Latest posts