Red clover delimia

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Last fall I worked, fertilized, and sewed 20 acres of red clover orchard grass and fescue. Had some volunteer wheat come up as well, this spri g first cutting got blowed down and was a pain to cut even with a conditioner. 2nd cutting rain kept me from cutting it for 3 weeks so lost most of the blooms on the clover (going to have it tested) now weeds are starting to take over in the field, is there anything I can spray to control the weeds with out killing clover. After this year I might be done with clover hay, probably go back to straight grass hay. One other side note, all of the fescue rescue and orchard grass got killed out by the clover I guess very little if any in it mostly crabgrass. Don't know if I should roundup the whole field and start over

2,4db (Butyrac 200) is a broadleaf herbicide safe for legumes. It's worked well when I used it.
If the clover is turning brown, there's a chance spraying it with regular 2,4D wouldn't hurt it much, if at all. I've sprayed a lot of 2,4D, and it seems to leave a lot of clover alive even when sprayed at the perfect time. Sounds like it wouldn't b the end of the world if you lost some of the clover. Regular 2,4D is a lot cheaper.

I will never understand why people purposefully seed clover of any kind. It's like they are asking for extra work.

I'm starting to think that to gonna try and get another year out of it to recover some of my expense. Them go back with orchard grass & fescue.

Aaron":2i1tecpj said:
I will never understand why people purposefully seed clover of any kind. It's like they are asking for extra work.
Pretty simple! Makes an excellent dulutor of the endophyte in fescue and adds nitrogen to the soil.

dun":2m8qmdqt said:
Aaron":2m8qmdqt said:
Pretty simple! Makes an excellent dulutor of the endophyte in fescue and adds nitrogen to the soil.

Dun is right. Every time I sow seed clover is in the mix.

dun":6kzgznr5 said:
Aaron":6kzgznr5 said:

Will trefoil not work?

Aaron":3h82tnt8 said:
dun":3h82tnt8 said:
Aaron":3h82tnt8 said:

Will trefoil not work?
Not if it won;t grow in the area. It doesn;t grow well here. Clover and lespedeza are about the only choices for this area. We have plenty of the latter but clover is still a better bet. Grows every year where lespedeza has good years occasiaonlly and bad years most years.

M.Magis":3ffd8upr said:
2,4db (Butyrac 200) is a broadleaf herbicide safe for legumes. It's worked well when I used it.
If the clover is turning brown, there's a chance spraying it with regular 2,4D wouldn't hurt it much, if at all. I've sprayed a lot of 2,4D, and it seems to leave a lot of clover alive even when sprayed at the perfect time. Sounds like it wouldn't b the end of the world if you lost some of the clover. Regular 2,4D is a lot cheaper.

We've sprayed 24d over white clover a lot but have always been told that it will kill red clover. I just got this hay cut and plan on one more cutting when would be the right time to spray the 24db. Thinking about set to g the disk pretty straight and running over it and with more orchard grass and fescue

I've been doing some checking and has anybody used pastora. It looked like it would work good on my secondary problem Johnson grass. Don't know what it would do to fescue face or my orchard grass and clover

Walked thru the field yesterday,it's been 3 weeks since we cut it and there's not much clover in it mostly crabgrass going to spray it soon and very lightly disk to add more orchard grass and fescue

Ky cowboy":1ypcdtwz said:
Walked thru the field yesterday,it's been 3 weeks since we cut it and there's not much clover in it mostly crabgrass going to spray it soon and very lightly disk to add more orchard grass and fescue
I wouldn't think it would be necessary to spray the crabgrass. Its an opportunity grass.....only grows where it has the opportunity. when you establish the fescue and orchardgrass and clover the crabgrass won't compete much usually. I like having it there when nothing else is growing or don't take.
IMO, disking and planting would suffice.

Banjo":7k5dhab1 said:
Ky cowboy":7k5dhab1 said:
I wouldn't think it would be necessary to spray the crabgrass. Its an opportunity grass.....only grows where it has the opportunity. when you establish the fescue and orchardgrass and clover the crabgrass won't compete much usually. I like having it there when nothing else is growing or don't take.
IMO, disking and planting would suffice.
+1

Change of plans. Walked the field again very little red clover zero fescue and orchard grass, just free and crabgrass. Going to spray with round up, disk and reseed. The crabgrass will come back next fall, going to Seed just orchard grass and fescue. Probably will be more than enough red clover come up from all of the seed I knocked off last cutting. Really don't care if it doesn't come back

Why disk instead of no till? That will just bring up another seed bank of weeds

Ky cowboy":38vtriu2 said:
Change of plans. Walked the field again very little red clover zero fescue and orchard grass, just free and crabgrass. Going to spray with round up, disk and reseed. The crabgrass will come back next fall, going to Seed just orchard grass and fescue. Probably will be more than enough red clover come up from all of the seed I knocked off last cutting. Really don't care if it doesn't come back
If you can grow crabgrass and orchard grass why fescue.
Fescue really isn't very good, its only good where nothing else grows. If you have the ability to grow something else do it.
Sow ryegrass for winter.

Latest posts