red bugs

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
Anybody know of a good product to repel / kill these little ba**ards? I'm nuthin' but welps :( . The first hatch caught me by surprise. I'm literally spraypainting my jeans with 30% deet and it's just slowing them down a bit. I think this is the worst I've seen (or not seen as the case may be) them. It must have been the wet winter.

Guess you mean "chiggers" by redbugs?

They like tall grass as do ticks also. When I've been around places prone to chiggers, I will dust my shoes, socks, legs, pant legs (up to knee) with Sulphur. Has worked wonders. Non-toxic . Can buy a 5# bag at lawn & garden store for next to nothing. Put some of the powder in a can or bottle with screw on metal lid. Punch holes in lid to make a shaker. Carry it in your truck as well as keep a shaker of it at your house or office before you go outdoors.

Once the chiggers burrow in, start itching, not awful lot you can do until they run their course. I've used antihistimines, nail polish, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, soap & water, you name it...just psychological & temporary relief. Yes, can be miserable for the first few days. :(

Not sure if it is chiggers this works on but if you take a sit down bath with a cup or two of bleach added to the water it kills them. Soak for a while.

cherokeeruby":15f4tfaz said:
Not sure if it is chiggers this works on but if you take a sit down bath with a cup or two of bleach added to the water it kills them. Soak for a while.

I've used rubbing alcohol with decent results but I'd rather keep them off to begin with.

You're remedy makes me think Jacko's Neverland Ranch has a severe chigger problem ;-) .

Running Arrow Bill":1ua899np said:
Guess you mean "chiggers" by redbugs?

They like tall grass as do ticks also. When I've been around places prone to chiggers, I will dust my shoes, socks, legs, pant legs (up to knee) with Sulphur. Has worked wonders. Non-toxic . Can buy a 5# bag at lawn & garden store for next to nothing. Put some of the powder in a can or bottle with screw on metal lid. Punch holes in lid to make a shaker. Carry it in your truck as well as keep a shaker of it at your house or office before you go outdoors.

Once the chiggers burrow in, start itching, not awful lot you can do until they run their course. I've used antihistimines, nail polish, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, soap & water, you name it...just psychological & temporary relief. Yes, can be miserable for the first few days. :(

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that before for chiggers. I suppose it would work unless I was getting in and out of my truck very often. Come to think of it, I guess the sulfer would just blend into the other dust and detritus in my truck.

For red bugs I've achieved good results by mixing a solution of bleach & water, about 25% bleach, and then applying it to feet, legs, etc. with a washcloth. May not need to be as strong as 25% bleach, but that's all I've tried. Of course, for a while your body will have a distinctly bleachy smell, but its a small price to pay for killing the little buggers. I might add that the 25% bleach solution seems to work quite well for me in spring when my hands make frequent contact with poison ivy while picking dewberries, and in the fall while picking pecans. As long as I apply it within about 30 to 60 minutes I don't seem to have any problems with the poison ivy.

When picking blackberrys put a dogs flea collar over your pants legs. Don't let it touch your skin. This will keep the little devels at bay.

cherokeeruby":6vry2fhh said:

That does work with chiggers, going to the swimming pool will also do the trick.

The bite of the chigger has such a an allergic reaction to your skin. I was told many years ago, that the chigger would embed into your skin and put fingernail polish on it to smother it. I found out on the internet that it isn't true. I just always make sure that I spary my clothing good with Off if I am in an area that they are thick. For some reason, they love blackberrie pickers. I would like to know what stops the itch. Nothing like chigger bites where your underwear bands are and in the crotch region. Awwgghhhh!!! Mostly when it is hot. :mad:

For a chigger bite put a drop of amonia on it. after it quits burning it won't bother you nearly as bad. Its kindy like that cow manure on chap lips thing. It will keep you from licking them.

Bama":13t7mv10 said:
When picking blackberrys put a dogs flea collar over your pants legs. Don't let it touch your skin. This will keep the little devels at bay.

When I was a kid I noticed my older cousins would use that trick to repel ticks when out in the pastures. I don't remember how well it worked on red bugs, but they are basically just very tiny versions of ticks. The fire ants pretty much solved the tick problem but I guess chiggers are too small for them to bother with.

Another Remedy you can use on Tick and Chigger bites is Polk. Many of you may have it growing in fence rows or in some pastures.Simply break the Polk Stalk and dab the "sap" on the bite areas. Itch will be gone in no time. Here in the South, it's made into Poke Sallet (Salad). It's a Redneck Aloe Vera. Good on burns too.

finally a use for it! i should pot some up and start selling it at lowes with the other weeds they have for sale now. by they way, whoever had the bright idea to put thistle seeds in birdseed needs to be shot.

My grandma used to mix sulpher with hand lotion and apply all over my legs, arms, everywhere. It doesen't smell great but it sure seems to help with the chiggers, and it's easier then dusting and stays on longer IMO.

I am going to try the bleach solution for poision ivy! I can just look at the stuff and get it. I hate poision ivy!!! Thanks!

sidney,

We use bleach to kill PI...it dries it up quick. Apply it several times a day on the affected areas. Best I've seen...none of the medicines seem to do any good.