June Bugs

Help Support CattleToday:

Anyone else ever chunked a armadillo in the tank. ? They'll walk across the bottom to the other side. You can see the trail of bubbles as they go.
When I was a kid we used to catch em and paint our brand on the shell
I had quite a herd at on time

A neighbor of mine just turns his chickens out each morning, and the head straight for the porches and clean up ever last june bug there is. My dog will eat a few, but I've heard they're like toads...taste bad...lots of things will spit a toad out.
I don't understand the things. They fly great, but landing...not so much. Fly around till they hit something then fall down and evidently, taking off is just a once in a lifetime event..., as I've never seen a single one take again off once it falls to the deck. (can't read a calendar either)

callmefence said:
Anyone else ever chunked a armadillo in the tank. ? They'll walk across the bottom to the other side. You can see the trail of bubbles as they go.
It is reported that is the way they got from Texas to Louisiana. Just walked across on the bottom of the river.
You Texas boys should do better with your feeding program so they will stay home where they belong. :nod: :nod:

It is reported that is the way they got from Texas to Louisiana. Just walked across on the bottom of the river.
You Texas boys should do better with your feeding program so they will stay home where they belong. :nod: :nod:
You Louisianians need to build yourself a wall......

I have not seen a live armadillo here in a couple of years..maybe 3 or 4 years, tho I occasionally see a dead one on the highway between here and town. This place used to be full of them....couldn't walk thru the woods on any day and not see or hear one rustling thru the dead leaves and brush. Something (or someone) must be eating them all up.

greybeard said:

I have not seen a live armadillo here in a couple of years..maybe 3 or 4 years, tho I occasionally see a dead one on the highway between here and town. This place used to be full of them....couldn't walk thru the woods on any day and not see or hear one rustling thru the dead leaves and brush. Something (or someone) must be eating them all up.

They have got pretty rare here as well.

greybeard said:

I seem to have more than I need with all the digging I see. Hopefully down to one around the house. Probably ought to stay up tonight to see if I can get him but I just don't seem to have that in me these days.

callmefence said:

I now have one experiment and one new hobby.

Caustic Burno said:
greybeard said:

Coyotes are eating the armadillos.

True Grit Farms said:
Caustic Burno said:
greybeard said:

Coyotes are eating the armadillos.

.. roads and traffic are killing the armadillo

TG probably right about coyotes killing armadillos. I used to have a dog that would kill them and bring them to me until he wore his teeth out breaking through the shells.

Ferrel hogs will root up where the hay has rotted after feeding a round bale. I think they are after the grub worms.

Latest posts