Strange bugs

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Around our place we have all sorts of strange bugs.. I don't want to get into the ugly ones, but some are really nice...

I'm told this is some kind of june beetle... absolutely amazing color.. the camera doesn't do it justice

I've only ever seen one of these, I'm told it's a Horse Guardian wasp

There's another wasp I can never get a picture of.. it's about 1" long, it's only around if the temps are in the 90's, and it catches flies off the cows.. very alert, very noisy, with big yellow eyes, and a greenish body with bright yellow legs..

More wasps.. some very big shiny, slender, black spider hunting wasps.. seeing them dig in the sand or dragging a spider is quite a sight... unlike ants, they know exactly where they're going and nothing gets in their way

And more wasps.. some black and orange wasps, about 1 1/4" long, certainly wouldn't want to be stung by one, but they really keep to themselves.. most often found on mint and onion flowers

And bees.. very bright metallic (like the beetle) green or blue bees, they're much smaller than a honeybee, I think they're some sort of leafcutter or mason bee.. rare sights too but very pretty..

And other beetles with VERY LONG antennae.. each is at least an inch.. and they squeak like a mouse if you pick them up

And spiders.. well.. there's very few I like.. we have the jumping spiders here, and they stalk flies like a cat stalks a mouse, and then pounce.. they're articulated in the middle like a big tractor, and they're very alert, and seem to look you right in the eye... couple different colorings on them, but they all behave the same.. pretty much all other spiders except those ones I have a strong dislike for

I'll try and dig up my old pictures... meanwhile are there any interesting bugs you have?

The first photo looks alot like the Tiger beetles I've seen around here. Beautiful color and so irredescent.

Have you ever seen a Red Velvet ant? They are gorgeous, large hairy brilliant red with black legs. They will sting/bite the heck out of you.

Nature has alot of "pretty" bugs. Harlequin beetles are pretty, I hate that they eat up Brassicas.

Workinonit Farm":15ri1lvy said:
The first photo looks alot like the Tiger beetles I've seen around here. Beautiful color and so irredescent.

Have you ever seen a Red Velvet ant? They are gorgeous, large hairy brilliant red with black legs. They will sting/bite the heck out of you.

Nature has alot of "pretty" bugs. Harlequin beetles are pretty, I hate that they eat up Brassicas.

You talking about cow killer ants ???

I'm not sure what a "cow killer ant" is. That may be another name for it. I just know the name I've read in an insect book, and what people around here call it. I've seen them as far north as New Hampshire. When I have seen them, they are walking along, only one at a time. You won't see them in groups or lines like other ants. Only individuals wandering around.

Unfortunately I haven't got any photos of one that could be posted.

I know the Bell Hornet is also called a Cicada Killer & Horse Hornet.

I forgot about the cicadas here.. we have two completely different types.. One is a lot like that green beetle I posted, but grayish, the other is black and orange, big eyes, and lacy wings.. both have the same hum in the trees though

M-5":2z1pjevg said:
Workinonit Farm":2z1pjevg said:

You talking about cow killer ants ???
Yes, she's talking about a cow killer, but it's not an ant. It's a wingless hornet.

The first bug looks kinda like what we call a snap beetle. The other bug y'all are talking about we called cow ants . Never heard cow killer . And g a is right it's the male wasp. The female has wings .

Latest posts