Red Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

goodbeef

Reaction score
looking to use red angus semen on a group of heifer this spring, want to know what opinions are out there on Gravity,or Laramie,both owned by ABS

Haven't used either of them. We use a lot of Basin 79E and really like the calves, tried Above and Beyond, not too thrilled with the growth or carcass from preliminary ultrasound, used Judge this year but the calves won;t be here till spring. Used BC Hobo, pulled 4 out of 5 calves, the 5th was a 110 lb bull calve out of a heifer that managed to have it on her own.

dun

I like Laramie a lot, seen him at the sale looks good to me. Keep in mind he is a young bull and un-proven but I'm going to use him on a few heifers this year. Don't know much about Gravity. Check out Feddes Big Sky R9 from Genex, I will have a few calves from him this spring and will know more then but I think he is worth a look. We used Capstone, Celebration last year, might take a peek at them also in the ABS catalog.

i know both bulls are yourg and unproven, so there are some questions. i am open to some other bulls,and had thought about 79e. i am not as concerened about calving ease as some as long as we keep the calves below 80 or so. looking for bulls with good muscle and capacity that also have adaquite grow, while keeping frame score down in the 5's. also that can produce good replacement heifers. he doesnt have to do anything extraordinary just alot of things well.

I've got 2 79E daughters that will calve in March. I liked them as heifers enough to keep them, now it's up to them to do their job

dun

dun":30yzuobu said:
ollie'":30yzuobu said:
dun":30yzuobu said:
Used BC Hobo,
which bc hobo? 1961?

That's the one. His daughters make some powerfull easy calving cows with decent udders and terrible teats

dun
:lol: How's that epd deal working out for you . Just ribbing you a little.

ollie'":376whw32 said:
dun":376whw32 said:
ollie'":376whw32 said:
dun":376whw32 said:
Used BC Hobo,
which bc hobo? 1961?

That's the one. His daughters make some powerfull easy calving cows with decent udders and terrible teats

dun
:lol: How's that epd deal working out for you . Just ribbing you a little.

Surprisingly, he's the only bull we've used that didn;t live up to his billing. A neigbor used him didn;t have any problems, but the daughters that he kept were junk. Go figure

dun

The 79E's I've seen don't have the best feet and were very light boned. He would be a super easy calving bull, but if you want more performance, you might go in another direction.

I've not seen many bad females from 1961, actually quite the opposite. I actually have considered using him due to daughter longevity and calving ease. Some good northern herds have had so much good luck with him that they are going back and using him again. Suprising about your experience with him.

Those heifers that I saw that was so nice were 1961 grandaughters. Very functional looking females.

some of our top cows are Hobo 1961 daoughters, seems like a good stand by, fairly cheap too.

Canyon Classic. He sold for $20,000 at Neo-Shos final sale. One bull out of Classic sold for $15,000 last year. He is what many consider the best Cherokee Canyon bull in the breed. He has excellent carcass, and he has tremendous growth, depth and muscle. I've seen several daughters and they are as nice as I have seen anywhere.

Genex, I believe stores, and collects the semen but they do not have the semen rights.

http://old.redangus.org/cgi-bin/extped.4ge?909001

redangus":z1s796iq said:
Canyon Classic. He sold for $20,000 at Neo-Shos final sale. One bull out of Classic sold for $15,000 last year. He is what many consider the best Cherokee Canyon bull in the breed. He has excellent carcass, and he has tremendous growth, depth and muscle. I've seen several daughters and they are as nice as I have seen anywhere.

Genex, I believe stores, and collects the semen but they do not have the semen rights.

http://old.redangus.org/cgi-bin/extped.4ge?909001

What is the frame size of this bull?[/quote]

As a yearling, he was 5.3. If you have larger framed heifers, he is the perfect choice.

He's a relative calving ease bull with growth and tremendous carcass, depth, and muscling.

Latest posts