Rectum Protruding

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I went out last night to check on a heifer that is due 8/5/14. I have her up and have been seeing a small part of her rectum protrude when she lays down. When she gets up, it goes back in.

I went out at midnight to check her because she has all the signs that partum is close. I have not checked her this morning but as soon as I finish this, I am on my way. When I got her up last night, the protruding rectum did not go back in. It looks like a red ball the size of a baseball. I have been assuming this is due to the looseness. Is this something I need the vet for?

I don't know Ron, I guess not a real lot can be down with it other than some sort of loose purse string. I would be thinking like Hook that things will resolve once she calves, in the meantime if you can do anything to stop it drying out like maybe a bit of obstet lubricant on it may help for when it decides to go back in.
Ken

Hook/Ken. Thanks.

She was standing when I got there and the rectum was back in. I saw her hump-up to pee and with the pressure, I saw the rectum protruding but only a small degree. I am guessing she is going to calve very soon. She is AI bred to a simangus bull, In Force who has a CE of 20 and -5 on BW so should do well having the calf. As Hook said, a lot is pushing on her rectum. BTW: Ken, I have OB lube so I will keep that on it to prevent drying. That was an excellent suggestion.

I'll make an even better suggestion, watch her closely, let her calf and wean the calf and ship her as a terminal.

milkmaid":1coskbfv said:
You sure it's rectum and not a vaginal prolapse?
Rectal. I am 100 percent. It is the same orifice that I had my arm in when I AI'd her.

I was wondering if she was a terminal. :cry2:
This is my Milestone heifer. Bad news for the home team.

I've seen it before. What ever hormone relaxes their muscles, tendons etc for calving I guess it relaxes their rectum to. I don't think its a deal breaker. If doesn't go back after calving it'd be an issue, but I bet it does.

Bigfoot":2cn475hg said:
I've seen it before. What ever hormone relaxes their muscles, tendons etc for calving I guess it relaxes their rectum to. I don't think its a deal breaker. If doesn't go back after calving it'd be an issue, but I bet it does.

I hope you are right. I will decide after I see how she recovers.

milkmaid":18rz5m17 said:

milkmaid. I have given this question more consideration. First, I would like to ask you a personal question? Are you married?

Because if you are, you would know that men have a good sense of knowing one hole from the other. Nevertheless, I want your confirmation that I got this right.

The hole that this protrusion eminated from was the one directly under the tail. I took a picture today and identified the hole with AI chalk. Here is the picture:
33wktwp.jpg

mikmaid, I hope you are in good humor. The heifer definitely has a rectal protrusion. But as soon as she gets up, it goes back in. I have observed this for about the last 5 days. When she gets up, you can watch her anal sphincter muscles contract a couple of times and the protrusion goes back in. When I got there at noon today she was standing. Here are pictures of her udder and her standing:
6ny0e9.jpg

2s13gqw.jpg

There's humor and then there's not appropriate, inyati. I work in a field where we joke about any repro topic you can imagine on a regular basis... but that one crosses the line for me.

Vaginal prolapses in heavy breds are far more common than rectal prolapses. In spite of the typical demographics of cattle owners/ranchers/farmers - the number that can't tell which orifice -or organ- is involved would obviously surprise you.

On topic: if the prolapse goes back in when she stands, don't worry about it.

She is not so good that you need to risk losing your investment in her, there are too many problem free cattle in the world to mess with one that is postlegged and has a rectal prolapse. I have to say I've never seen a rectal prolapse in cattle, have seen a few in dorper sheep and the outcome hasn't been good yet.

inyati13":2r90nlli said:
milkmaid":2r90nlli said:

milkmaid. I have given this question more consideration. First, I would like to ask you a personal question? Are you married?

Because if you are, you would know that men have a good sense of knowing one hole from the other.
Nevertheless, I want your confirmation that I got this right.

The hole that this protrusion eminated from was the one directly under the tail. I took a picture today and identified the hole with AI chalk. Here is the picture:
33wktwp.jpg

I have to agree that it's rather uncooth, you've got to pic your audience...

Claire is a lady, very knowledgeable, very busy and is trying to help you!

milkmaid":1zcjny6g said:
There's humor and then there's not appropriate, inyati. I work in a field where we joke about any repro topic you can imagine on a regular basis... but that one crosses the line for me.

Vaginal prolapses in heavy breds are far more common than rectal prolapses. In spite of the typical demographics of cattle owners/ranchers/farmers - the number that can't tell which orifice -or organ- is involved would obviously surprise you.

On topic: if the prolapse goes back in when she stands, don't worry about it.

My father had a 7th grade education and I promise you he knew a vulva from an anus. For you to assert that "owners/ranchers/farmers" can't tell one orifice from the other is absolutely absurd. Come on. I will kiss your azz and give you a week to draw a crowd if you can find me one farmer in the US that does not know a pu**y from an azzhole!!!!!!

KNERSIE":84bz5ypq said:
She is not so good that you need to risk losing your investment in her, there are too many problem free cattle in the world to mess with one that is postlegged and has a rectal prolapse. I have to say I've never seen a rectal prolapse in cattle, have seen a few in dorper sheep and the outcome hasn't been good yet.

I knew she was post legged. But as a matter of fact, I have been able to identify several others who have seen rectal protusions in addition to Bigfoot. Being candid, I am considering letting her go.

KNERSIE":2pv7z4zk said:
inyati13":2pv7z4zk said:
milkmaid":2pv7z4zk said:

Because if you are, you would know that men have a good sense of knowing one hole from the other.
Nevertheless, I want your confirmation that I got this right.

33wktwp.jpg

I have to agree that it's rather uncooth, you've got to pic your audience...

Claire is a lady, very knowledgeable, very busy and is trying to help you!

KNERSIE, I will suffer without that kind of arrogant help.

dun":3b7a4r9p said:
inyati13":3b7a4r9p said:
KNERSIE, I will suffer without that kind of arrogant help.
Your loss in the long run

dun, it will be my loss then. People place far too much importance on themselves. There are many avenues available to get to where we are going. I wish her well but she is not a person I would ever want help from.

Latest posts